Thursday, December 16, 2021

Book Beginnings + Friday 56: Aftermath by Terri Blackstock

Book Beginnings is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader that asks you to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you're reading. Friday 56 is hosted by Freda's Voice and asks you to grab a book (any book), turn to page 56 or 56% in your ereader and share a non-spoilery sentence or two.

This week I'm featuring Aftermath by Terri Blackstock.

About the Book
A devastating explosion.

Three best friends are at the venue to hear their favorite band. Only one makes it out alive.

A trunk full of evidence.

When police stop Dustin Webb with a warrant to search his trunk, he knows there’s been a mistake. He’s former military and owns a security firm. But he’s horrified when the officers find explosives, and he can’t fathom how they got there.

An attorney who will risk it all for an old friend.

Criminal attorney Jamie Powell was Dustin’s best friend growing up. They haven’t spoken since he left for basic training, but she’s the first person he thinks of when he’s arrested. Jamie knows she’s putting her career on the line by defending an accused terrorist, but she’d never abandon him. Someone is framing Dustin to take the fall for shocking acts of violence . . . but why?

Book Beginnings
Taylor Reid's phone flashed as she snapped the selfie with her two friends, their heads touching and their backs to the stage. The shot from the third row, with the lead singer in the background and the three of them in the foreground, was perfect. No one would believe their seats were so close.

Friday 56
"I realize this is a PR disaster." Jamie sat rigid in the conference room after the staff meeting, fully prepared to fight to keep Dustin's case. When the partners had asked her to stay behind to brief them on it, she'd known things could go badly.

What have you been reading lately?

14 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It really fits the story. Thanks for coming by! Have a great weekend! :)

      Delete
  2. I haven't read Terri Blackstock's books in years. I enjoyed them when I did, but she fell off my radar some how. This definitely sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a while since I've read one of her books, too, but it was so good to be back. This one is great! Thanks for stopping by! Hope you have a great weekend! :)

      Delete
  3. Ooh this could get very tragic, very quickly! I don't even know what I'd do if someone tried to frame me for murder... I hope you enjoy this one and that you have a lovely weekend :)
    Juli @ A Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what I'd do either. I know I'd be a ball of worry, though. Such a terrible situation. Thanks for visiting! Happy reading! :)

      Delete
  4. One of these days I've got to try this author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's so good! Thanks for coming by! Have a great weekend! :)

      Delete
  5. I like this author and really enjoyed this book. I gave it 4/5. Hope you enjoy it as much! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed it, too, and would give it a 4 as well. Thanks for visiting! Happy weekend! :)

      Delete
  6. I can't imagine being framed for something so terrible! What a good premise for a thriller.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? It'd be such a terrible situation to be in! Thanks for stopping by! Hope you have an awesome weekend! :)

      Delete
  7. I will eventually get to this, it is on my TBR list :) https://cindysbookcorner.blogspot.com/2021/12/first-line-friday-30-behind-loves-wall.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it! It definitely kept me on the edge of my seat. Thanks for coming by! Hope you have a lovely weekend! :)

      Delete