Thursday, May 16, 2019

Review: Darkwater Secrets (Darkwater Inn #1) by Robin Caroll

About the Book
A murder investigation uncovers sordid secrets and haunting mistakes

The Darkwater Inn stands tall and proud in the French Quarter, the hub of New Orleans. Bourbon Street is bustling, and general manager Adelaide Fountaine has her hands full with a hotel at capacity. But she is shocked when a body is found: a hotel guest stabbed with a kitchen knife.

Detective Beau Savoie, Adelaide's childhood friend, is on the case. As Beau digs into the victim's past, he unearths a shocking connection between Adelaide and the murdered guest. Beau is hurt that his friend--the woman he's quietly loved for years--kept the truth from him. To make matters worse, the stress of the investigation has sent Adelaide right into the comforting arms of her coworker Dimitri. But Beau can't press Adelaide too hard . . . because he's keeping secrets of his own.

Can Adelaide and Beau afford to hide from the truth with a killer on the loose?
 


My Thoughts

Darkwater Secrets was a great story that captivated me from beginning to end.

New Orleans is a wonderful setting and one of my favorite places to visit in books. The city, and the Darkwater Inn, seemed to come alive here and were characters unto themselves. I love when that happens. And speaking of characters, this story follows three different POVs, Adelaide, Dimitri, and Beau. I really liked all of them, but there is a love triangle going on there. I'm not usually a fan of those, but I'm reserving my judgment, for now, to see how it all develops in the future.

I was surprised by how quickly the mystery was resolved. There was still quite a bit of book left. And I felt like the reveal was a little, I don't know, anticlimactic, maybe. It wasn't bad, just unexpected, I guess. The remainder of the book was good, I just wish the mystery had lasted longer. The groundwork for the next book was set, though, and I'm eager to see what happens next.

I won this book in a giveaway and voluntarily reviewed it. All thoughts and comments are my honest opinion.

Four Stars

2 comments:

  1. I'm not a fan of love triangles either. I'm glad that didn't spoil the book for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. I'm curious how it's gonna play out in the next book. Thanks for stopping by, Lark! :)

      Delete