Thursday, February 28, 2019

Book Beginnings + Friday 56: Beauty and the Clockwork Beast by Nancy Campbell Allen

Book Beginnings is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader that asks you to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you're reading. Friday 56 is hosted by Freda's Voice and asks you to grab a book (any book), turn to page 56 or 56% in your ereader and share a non-spoilery sentence or two.

This week I'm featuring
Beauty and the Clockwork Beast by Nancy Campbell Allen. I've been meaning to read this since it first came out a couple years ago. I finally did and loved it! It's such a fun steampunk retelling of Beauty and the Beast.

About the Book
When Lucy Pickett arrives at Blackwell Manor to tend to her ailing cousin, Kate, she finds more than she bargained for. A restless ghost roams the hallways, werewolves have been reported in the area, and vampires lurk across the Scottish border.

Lord Miles himself is clearly hiding a secret. He is brash and inhospitable and does not take kindly to visitors—even one as smart and attractive as Miss Pickett. He is unsettled by the mysterious deaths of his new wife, Clara, and his sister, Marie. Could Miles himself be to blame for the deaths?

Working together, Miles and Lucy attempt to restore peace to Blackwell Manor. But can Lucy solve the mystery of Miles? Can she love the man—beast and all?

Book Beginning
It had never been proven that Lord Blackwell had killed his wife, but then the man in question hadn't actually denied it either. The death of his sister the very next day hadn't helped matters at all, and rumors circulated and swirled, as rumors were wont to do. According to London gossip, the police questioned him as a formality and then left him alone.

Friday 56
Lucy briefly closed her eyes and placed her palm to her forehead. Usually the problems she fixed were so much simpler. And the stakes were never so high.

What have you been reading lately?

18 comments:

  1. This sounds really interesting, I'll have to check this book out :) Here is my Friday's post >>> https://journeyinbookland.wordpress.com/2019/03/01/bookish-memes-on-friday-march-1-2019-the-wicked-king-by-holly-black/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed it! Thanks for coming by! Hope you have a great weekend! :)

      Delete
  2. Oh the synopsis and the beginning sounds really interesting. I do not believe that I read anything in this genre at all, I need to fill this gap.

    Here is my post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steampunk is such a fun genre. I don't read it nearly enough, but this book has made me want to snatch up all the steampunk books I can find. Thanks for the visit, Julie! Hope you have an awesome weekend! :)

      Delete
    2. Steampunk it is. I though so, but was not sure. Yes, I need to get into the genre, it sounds like a lot of fun))

      Delete
    3. I hope you're able to try it one of these days. I think you'll like it. :)

      Delete
  3. Now I'm curious! Thanks for sharing, and here's mine: “THE NEXT TO DIE”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Laurel-Rain! Hope you have a wonderful weekend! :)

      Delete
  4. I'm so glad you liked this one! I loved it, too. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I'm so happy we both enjoyed it! Thanks for visiting, Lark! Hope you have an amazing weekend! :)

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a good one!! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked it a lot. Thanks for stopping by, Freda! Hope you have an awesome weekend! :)

      Delete
  6. I'll have to keep this one in mind. It sounds like great fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so much fun! Thanks for the visit, Nicki! Hope you have a wonderful weekend! :)

      Delete
  7. I always enjoy a nice steampunk read. :)

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Thanks for stopping by, Lauren! Hope you have a great weekend! :)

      Delete
  8. I like that 56! And I'm starting to really like steampunk more and more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. I'm hoping to read more of it this year. Thanks for coming by, Greg! Hope you have a great rest of the weekend! :)

      Delete