Thursday, August 8, 2024

Book Beginnings, First Line Friday, & Friday 56: In This Moment (Timeless #2) by Gabrielle Meyer

Book Beginnings is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader that asks you to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you're reading. I'm also linking up with Carrie at Reading is My Superpower for First Line Friday. Friday 56 is hosted by Freda's Voice and asks you to grab a book (any book), turn to page 56 or 56% in your ereader and share a non-spoilery sentence or two. Freda is taking a hiatus right now, but Anne over at My Head is Full of Books has taken over in the meantime.

This week I'm featuring In This Moment (Timeless #2) by Gabrielle Meyer. This is such a unique and interesting series. I'm loving it! 

About the Book
Maggie inherited a gift from her time-crossing parents that allows her to live three separate lives in 1861, 1941, and 2001. Each night she goes to sleep in one time period and wakes up in another. Until, that is, she turns twenty-one, when she will have to forfeit two of those lives--and everyone she knows in them--forever.

In 1861, Maggie is the daughter of an influential senator at the outbreak of the Civil War, navigating a capital full of Southern spies and wounded soldiers. In 1941, she is a Navy nurse, grappling with her knowledge of the future when she's asked to join a hospital ship being sent to Pearl Harbor. And in 2001, she's a brilliant young medical student, fulfilling her dream of becoming a surgeon, yet unable to use her modern skills in her other paths.

While Maggie has sworn off romance until she makes her final choice, an intriguing man tugs at her heart in each era. The mysterious British gentleman. The prickly, demanding doctor. The charming young congressman. She's drawn to each man in different ways, only complicating the impossible decision she must make, which looms ever closer.

With so much on the line, how can Maggie choose just one life to keep and the rest to lose?

Book Beginnings / First Line Friday
April 18, 1861
Washington, DC
Most days, I could pretend that my life was normal. I was a twenty-year-old woman searching for my place in the world, trying to decide my future. The only difference was that I had three normal lives, and on my twenty-first birthday, just eight and a half months from now, I would have to choose which one to keep and which to forfeit. Forever.

Friday 56
Darkness had fallen, and a blanket of clouds covered the sky, making it a moonless and starless night. The heat was still oppressive and promised a miserable night of sleep.

What have you been reading lately?

6 comments:

  1. That sounds like an emotional read. I wonder which one she goes for in the end!

    Have a great weekend!

    Emily @ Budget Tales Book Blog
    My post:
    https://budgettalesblog.wordpress.com/2024/08/09/first-line-friday-death-on-the-nile-by-agatha-christie/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was an emotional roller coaster! It was a hard choice. I didn't envy her having to choose. Hope you have a great weekend! :)

      Delete
  2. I've notice quite a lot of interest in the civil war in books this year. Interesting how historical topics of interest come and go over the years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. That is interesting. I wonder why that is? Hope you have a great weekend! :)

      Delete
  3. I love that opening...and the whole idea of this one! But I'd want the time period with all the modern amenities. I'm sort of attached to hot showers, working plumbing, electricity, etc. ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I'd need modern conveniences, for sure! :D

      Delete