Thursday, March 2, 2023

Book Beginnings, First Line Friday, & Friday 56: My Phony Valentine by Courtney Walsh

Book Beginnings is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader that asks you to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you're reading. Friday 56 is hosted by Freda's Voice and asks you to grab a book (any book), turn to page 56 or 56% in your ereader and share a non-spoilery sentence or two. I'm also linking up with Carrie at Reading is My Superpower for First Line Friday.

This week I'm featuring My Phony Valentine by Courtney Walsh. This was so much fun! I absolutely loved it!

About the Book
A chance meeting. A hunky hockey player. A fake romance.
Hardly an ordinary day in the life of Poppy Hart.


My days usually consist of agonizing over my failing restaurant, worrying about my mountain of debt and nursing my broken heart.

Everything changes when I bump into a man in the coffee shop and claim him as my new boyfriend. To my absolute horror, he turns out to be hockey’s most renowned bad boy, Dallas Burke. To my absolute delight, he goes along with my story.

When his no-nonsense manager and meddling grandmother jump in the picture, they see a win-win solution for my failing restaurant and Dallas’s less-than-stellar reputation.

A full-fledged fake romance complete with contract negotiations, pretend dates and phony PDA.

But as I get to know the real Dallas Burke, who is not the man the press says he is, it becomes clear that if this isn’t real. . . someone better tell it to my heart.

Book Beginnings / First Line Friday (Poppy's POV)
I don't know why I did what I did.

Friday 56 (Dallas' POV)
I'm not superstitious, and I don't really believe in luck, but knowing Poppy and her dad are in the stands, that there are people there cheering for me, not just nameless fans, but people who know me and really want me to succeed, it's settled something inside of me.

What have you been reading lately?

30 comments:

  1. This looks like a very cute book. Of course I am curious after that opening sentence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It had me curious too. Hope you have a great weekend! :)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. It's so good! Hope you have an awesome weekend! :)

      Delete
  3. The teaser and the quotes both make this sound like a very fun book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was definitely laughing all throughout. It's so much fun! Hope you have a great weekend, Mark! :)

      Delete
  4. I like the title and the cover and the first line. Very promising!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been hearing great things about it and am so happy that it lived up to all the hype! It's so good! Have a wonderful weekend! :)

      Delete
  5. Oh that's on my list now!!
    https://justmeandmyblogreviews.blogspot.com/2023/03/first-line-friday-book-beginnings.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really good! Hope you have a great weekend! :)

      Delete
  6. I'm a true Canadian, so you had me with hockey... LOL... Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I may live in Texas, but I have a hard time resisting books featuring hockey players. We have a junior hockey league team around here which is how I became a fan. Happy weekend! :D

      Delete
  7. A fake romance and hockey?! Sign me up! I hope you love it, and have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lisa! Hope you have a wonderful weekend! :)

      Delete
  8. Ohhh I have been wanting to read this book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of the best I've read so far this year. I hope you enjoy it! Have a great weekend, Jessica! :)

      Delete
  9. Aww, this sounds charming! I'm currently reading "Code Name Edelweiss" by Stephanie Landsem, and still working through "Nightmare Town" by Dashiell Hammett. That one is short stories, so I'm savoring them.

    BTW, I tagged you with The Bookworm Tag. Play if you want to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so eager to read Code Name Edelweiss. It sounds so good! Hope you enjoy it! Thanks for the tag! I'm hoping to have a little free time this week, so if that pans out, I'll definitely play! Sounds like fun! Hope you have a great weekend! :D

      Delete
  10. I loved this one too. Have a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cindy! It definitely lived up to the hype. I loved it! Hope you have a great weekend too! :)

      Delete
  11. A hunky hockey player. A fake romance. This does sound fun! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fake romance stories are hit-or-miss for me, but this one has to be my favorite. It's so good! Hope you have a great week, Lark! :)

      Delete
  12. I've heard great things about this book! I'm currently reading Depending on the Cowboy by Jill Kemerer. The first line is: "Women made him nervous." Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great opener! Thanks for sharing! Hope you have a great week too! :)

      Delete
  13. I'm so late! It's been a crazy, busy weekend. Anyway, I'm currently reading To Win Her Hand by Jen Geigle Johnson. It's cute!
    "Lord Featherstone craned his neck until he could no longer see Lady Loveluck exiting outside to wait for her carriage."
    I hope you have a wonderful Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Nicole! I really need to read a Jen Geigle Johnson book. I always hear such great things about them. Hope you have a great week! :)

      Delete
  14. This book sounds like SO much fun! I'm definitely curious about it having enjoyed Courtney's books from before, and this one just looks cute, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll really enjoy it, Rissi! It's a ton of fun! Hope you have a great week! :)

      Delete