Thursday, November 2, 2023

Review: Lake Shore Return by (Redemption Shores #2) by Jennifer Rodewald

About the Book
Changes are coming to Elk Canyon Lake. Will anything survive the upheaval?

As Bennett and Hazel work to find something normal in their unexpected romance, their worlds slip sideways all over again. They know they've found love, but can it endure despite their very different personalities and life outlooks? On top of that, there are so many profound changes . . .

Bennett is working to establish a new life in Montana, and Hazel's brother Hunter is coming back. To stay.

Hunter Wallace never had an intention to return to Elk Canyon Lake, even if the woman who held his heart had stubbornly remained there. But after a medical discharge sends his life skittering, he has run into a dead-end. The lake might be all he's got, so he's bound and determined to make something of it.

Janie Truitt has proven she's got the grit it takes to be her own boss. Her business is flourishing, as much as possible in tiny Luna, Montana. She's steady, and if she doesn't think about Hunter, she's happy. But the not thinking about Hunter is going to be difficult when he rumbles back into her world.

Come back to the majestic beauty of Elk Canyon Lake, a remote and breathtaking wonder hidden in the stunning Montana Mountains. There you'll find unexpected romance, the redemption of broken pasts, and hope dawning anew.


MY THOUGHTS

What a great continuation of the story that started in Lake Shore Wandering. I love that we’re following the same characters from the first book and getting to see their struggles and triumphs, their growth and setbacks. I’ve enjoyed watching their lives unfold—the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Hazel can be a difficult person at times. She's stubborn, direct, and set in her ways, and while I didn’t agree with a lot of what she said and did, I could relate to her awkwardness around others and to the fact that she was an introvert.

I didn’t think I’d like Hunter at the beginning of the first story, but, oh my, I’ve loved seeing the change in him. I love watching him try to be a better man and rediscover his faith in God. Despite how different he and Hazel are, I think they’re really good for each other. They make each other better, and I hope they can make their relationship work.

Hunter had a bit of a chip on his shoulder, and I can’t say that I liked him very much to begin with. Especially with what he did in the first book. But somewhere along the way, he really started to grow on me. I’m loving his transformation. Things are tough for him at the start of this book. He has a very contentious relationship with his sister Hazel, and then he’s dealt a blow with his job. I was so glad he had his commanding officer, John Brighton, in his life. What a godsend he was!

I liked Janie instantly. She had a brightness and joy about her that was infectious. But her sunshiny attitude disappeared whenever Hunter showed up or was even mentioned. I was so eager to learn their history and why there was so much animosity between them. I’m hoping they can work through their issues because it’s obvious they still care for one another.

I love how Jennifer Rodewald makes me feel like I’m reading about real people dealing with real-life issues. I always say this about her books, but there’s such an authenticity to them. That’s one of the things I love most about her books. I'm loving this series so far and am so eager for the next one!

I received an advanced copy of this book and voluntarily reviewed it. All thoughts and comments are my honest opinion.

FIVE STARS

2 comments:

  1. Glad this second book was as good as the first. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always worry that a sequel won't live up to it's predecessor, but I had no need to worry here. I think this was even better than the first one. I love when that happens. :D

      Delete