Thursday, November 16, 2023

Book Beginnings, First Line Friday, & Friday 56: Midnight Rider: Fae of Falls River by Stormie Black

Book Beginnings is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader that asks you to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you're reading. I'm also linking up with Carrie at Reading is My Superpower for First Line Friday. Friday 56 is hosted by Freda's Voice and asks you to grab a book (any book), turn to page 56 or 56% in your ereader and share a non-spoilery sentence or two. Freda is taking a hiatus right now, but Anne over at My Head is Full of Books has taken over until Freda returns.

This week I'm featuring Midnight Rider: Fae of Falls River by Stormie Black. I'm really enjoying this clean urban fantasy. It had a bit of a slow start, but things have really picked up and I'm fully invested now. 

About the Book
Can a protective sister and a broken fae keep their feelings untangled during a dangerous investigation?

Life is certainly no fairytale.

Ever since our mom's untimely death, my sister has insisted on acting out. And when I go in search of her to curb her reckless behavior and keep her from being a victim mentioned on the nightly news, I wind up slung over the shoulder of the man who slipped something into my drink. That's when the Midnight Rider, a fae vigilante in the supernatural underworld, rescues me. He's mysterious and broody, but I can't deny his skill in taking down bad guys. So in an effort to keep my sister out of trouble and track down who's behind the charmed poison that was given to me and other unsuspecting women, we form an unlikely alliance.

There's just one catch.

I agree to drink something that makes me forget I ever knew the Midnight Rider existed when our investigation is over. But as we trek deeper into the web of deceit in Falls River's underbelly, I discover that I don't want to forget the fae male who resembles my knight in shining armor.

Book Beginnings / First Line Friday (Kat's POV)
I don't see my sister anywhere, but I know she's here. It's the place she's most frequented since our mother's unexpected passing three months ago.

Friday 56 (Aris' POV)
I rise to my full height, only an inch or two above his own and search his eyes. "If you've got something to say about the things I've done, then spit it out, brother."

What have you been reading lately?

10 comments:

  1. I haven't read many books set in the fairy (right?) world but the ones I did read, I liked. This one seems to have potential. Thanks for playing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming by, Anne! Hope you have a great weekend! :)

      Delete
  2. This one really sets the scene for the family dynamic at play! I just started Hannah Morrisey's latest

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I hope you enjoy it! Have a great weekend! :)

      Delete
  3. I like the sound of this one. And I just finished reading Ronie Kendig's Havoc...and loved it. Thanks for recommending that one. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you loved Havoc, Lark! It was an exciting read, wasn't it? Hope you have a great weekend! :)

      Delete
  4. This wouldn't be something I'd usually pick up but it sounds good! Hope you're enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks, Lauren! Hope you have a a great weekend! :)

      Delete