Thursday, January 4, 2024

Book Beginnings, First Line Friday, & Friday 56: I Am In Here by Creston Mapes

Book Beginnings is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader that asks you to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you're reading. I'm also linking up with Carrie at Reading is My Superpower for First Line Friday. Friday 56 is hosted by Freda's Voice and asks you to grab a book (any book), turn to page 56 or 56% in your ereader and share a non-spoilery sentence or two. Freda is taking a hiatus right now, but Anne over at My Head is Full of Books has taken over until Freda returns.

This week I'm featuring I Am In Here by Creston Mapes.

About the Book
"Little Do They Know, I Can See and Hear Everything!"

Eighteen-year-old Hale Frodele is presumed braindead from a tragic church bus accident in which he lost his younger brother, Nate.

Little does anyone know—Hale hears and understands everything with crystal clarity.

Hale remembers when his mom died at age 44 of pancreatic cancer and his dad turned his back on God.

Hale understands that the unbeliever his dad remarried whispers bitterly that Hale is ‘pitiful’ and ‘ruining’ her marriage.

Hale knows his father has borrowed a large sum of money from a deranged loan shark named Sebastian and the payback is due in 48 hours.

Hale believes in his best friend Gilbert, who still visits him weekly, prays for his healing, and is beginning to realize something is very wrong in the Frodele household.

Hale is in here . . . and he has a mind-blowing story to tell.

Book Beginnings / First Line Friday
I can see, you know.
And I can hear. Oh, can I hear. It's become my secret weapon—my hearing.

Friday 56
I hear the front door open and can almost feel the cold air and sense of peril sweep into the house.

What have you been reading lately?

12 comments:

  1. Sounds like a heartbreaking story.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely has it's moments, but it's full of hope too. Happy New Year, Anne! :)

      Delete
  2. Lots of senses in play in both of those quotes. Sounds like a well written book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was glued to the pages. I definitely want to read more from this author. Happy New Year, Mark! :)

      Delete
  3. This looks so interesting - not the type of story I'd usually gravitate to, but I'm adding it to my TBR. Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it if you get the chance to read it. I really enjoyed it. Happy reading, Kym! :)

      Delete
  4. Happy Friday!
    I'm just beginning The Earl Next Door by Ashtyn Newbold. I'm excited to read it. Newbold is such a fun author!
    "Is it kindness or folly that might induce a genteel young lady to approach a gentleman to inform him of such a personal matter as a tear in his breeches?"
    I hope you have a great weekend filled with relaxing reading time. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a fun quote! I'll have to look into this author. Thanks for sharing! Happy New Year, Nicole! :)

      Delete
  5. It makes you wonder what the real story is--what is going on we don't yet know about. I imagine it would be frustrating to be able to hear everything but not be able to do anything about anything. I hope you are enjoying I Am In Here. Have a great weekend, Ashley!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It's a really intense thriller. So good! Hope you have a great week! :)

      Delete
  6. Wow...I can't even imagine being in Hale's position...hearing everything, knowing so much, but not being able to speak or act. That would be so hard. This book sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? I imagine it'd be so frustrating. Hope you have a great week, Lark! :)

      Delete