Monday, November 27, 2023

Review: Midnight Rider: Fae of Falls River by Stormie Black

About the Book
Can a protective sister and a broken fae keep their feelings untangled during a dangerous investigation?

Life is certainly no fairytale.

Ever since our mom's untimely death, my sister has insisted on acting out. And when I go in search of her to curb her reckless behavior and keep her from being a victim mentioned on the nightly news, I wind up slung over the shoulder of the man who slipped something into my drink. That's when the Midnight Rider, a fae vigilante in the supernatural underworld, rescues me. He's mysterious and broody, but I can't deny his skill in taking down bad guys. So in an effort to keep my sister out of trouble and track down who's behind the charmed poison that was given to me and other unsuspecting women, we form an unlikely alliance.

There's just one catch.

I agree to drink something that makes me forget I ever knew the Midnight Rider existed when our investigation is over. But as we trek deeper into the web of deceit in Falls River's underbelly, I discover that I don't want to forget the fae male who resembles my knight in shining armor.


MY THOUGHTS

I’ve been hearing great things about this book, and I’m happy to say it lived up to the hype. I’m always on the lookout for good, clean urban fantasy, and this fits the bill. It features wonderful characters, great worldbuilding, and an intriguing mystery.
 
I will say that this had a slow start, but it wasn’t long before things ramped up and I became fully invested.

I liked the fact that we got chapters from not only Aris and Kat’s POVs but Trystan and Val’s as well. I admired Kat’s fiery resolve and determination to protect her sister. And even though she was bossy and demanding at times, I ended up liking her. Aris was a great leading man. I loved his sense of honor and heroic actions. Even though he doesn’t believe it, he’s truly a good guy.

I was surprised that this book ends on a pretty big cliffhanger, but thankfully the series is complete and the rest of the books are already out. If you’re a fan of K.M. Shea’s urban fantasy books, you’ll love this series.

FOUR STARS

4 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed this one. The cover is very eye-catching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice that the series is complete and you don't have to wait a long time to resolve that cliffhanger ending. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? Cliffhangers are the worst when the next book isn't out yet. :)

      Delete