Thursday, October 12, 2023

Book Beginnings, First Line Friday, & Friday 56: Havoc (A Breed Apart: Legacy #1) by Ronie Kendig

Book Beginnings is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader that asks you to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you're reading. Friday 56 is hosted by Freda's Voice and asks you to grab a book (any book), turn to page 56 or 56% in your ereader and share a non-spoilery sentence or two. I'm also linking up with Carrie at Reading is My Superpower for First Line Friday. (Friday 56 is on hiatus right now, but I'll still be participating.)

This week I'm featuring Havoc (A Breed Apart: Legacy #1) by Ronie Kendig. This book releases on Amazon on October 17. I loved the original A Breed Apart series, so I'm excited for this spinoff series. I don't usually do this, but I thought I'd go ahead and share the first lines from the Prologue and Chapter 1.

About the Book
A soldier, a Malinois, and a stuntwoman walk onto a TV set . . .

Former Special Forces operator Sergeant Crew Gatlin takes everything in stride, even the career-ending incident that separated him from the Army, half a leg, and his beloved working dog, Havoc K027. Putting his life back together and lying low, he takes a job with A Breed Apart and is unexpectedly reunited with Havoc. It’s too good to be true—and the proof is in their first assignment: to work as a K-9 team for a television drama in Los Angeles. Miffed at being relegated to TV fodder, he’s willing to pay the price when he sees the stuntwoman.

Being a stunt double allows Vienna Foxcroft to fulfill her acting dream—with a side of MMA—and stay out of the limelight. The same one that plagued her childhood and put her through a nightmare scenario. Now, her tight-knit stunt team are the only ones she trusts. Then in walks Mr. Mountain-of-Muscle and his tough-as-nails dog, and Vienna has a bad feeling her life is about to turn upside down.

Ticked as they head overseas for a location shoot in Turkey, Crew guts it up—after all, he has Havoc again. Okay, and yeah—Vienna is going, too. When an attack sends the cast fleeing into the streets of Turkey, Vienna must face the demons of her past or be devoured by them. And Crew and Havoc are tested like never before.

Experience the high-octane thrill ride that is the first book in the A Breed Apart: Legacy series.

Book Beginnings / First Line Friday
(Prologue)
Two Years Ago
Outside the Wire, Bagram, Afgahnistan
The sleek, sexy body sailed through the air, effortless in its raw intensity to catapult itself across the sun-heated desert at the fleeing form

(Chapter 1)
Texas Hill Country
Smelly, tender liver extended to the snarling dog, Crew shifted on his legs, feeling the pinch of his prosthesis as he crouched before the wiry-haired mutt. Though mostly gray and appropriately named "Phantom" by the shelter staff, the dog stared at Crew as if he'd just made the biggest mistake of his life. Of Crew's life.

Friday 56
"Sorry for the delay," came the baritone voice of the commander as he entered with three lieutenants. "There has been a lot to sort out. We'll start with the most basic - as Mr. Chapel just stated, this is a secure facility and as such, those without the appropriate clearance will not be allowed on the floor."

What have you been reading lately?

14 comments:

  1. This one looks interesting, and I hope you enjoy it. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Breana! I loved it! Hope you've had a great weekend! :)

      Delete
  2. Interesting ๐Ÿค” Have a wonderful day, Ashley ☕๐Ÿ“š๐Ÿ๐Ÿ‘ป๐Ÿงก

    ReplyDelete
  3. I met a malinois at the vet's office a few weeks ago. What an intense dog. The owner went on and on about the challenges one should expect when raising these dogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're beautiful dogs, but, like you said, very intense! Hope you have a great week, Anne! :)

      Delete
  4. They had a Goodreads giveaway for this book which I entered hoping to win a copy because this does sound like a really good one. But then I do love books with a dog in them. :D Have a great weekend, Ashley!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you win, Lark! It's such an exciting book! Hope you have a great week! :)

      Delete
  5. I still have not read anything by her, but I need to. I think my hesitation is that a lot of her books seem militaryish, and I am not sure I want to read that, LOL! Have a good weekend, Ashley!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of her books are very military-ish. I was hesitant to read them, at first, but my mom kept pestering me to try one, and I ended up loving it. I hope you have a wonderful week, Cindy! :)

      Delete
  6. The movie setting of this one with a stuntwoman piques my interest. I really like the opening of the first chapter. Yay for dogs! Thank you for sharing! I hope you have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's hard to resist a book with dogs, lol. Hope you have a great week! :)

      Delete
  7. Must admit I'm confused about the use of 'sexy' in the prologue cause I skipped over it first and thought the line was about the dog, but then I saw 'sexy' and was like... that isn't about the dog. So consider me baffled but intrigued xD I hope you enjoy this one and I hope you have a lovely weekend :)
    Juli @ A Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a little baffled by that word too. It's describing the dog, but I've never thought to call a dog "sexy", lol. Other than that, this was a wonderful read. Hope you have a great weekend, Juli! :)

      Delete