Thursday, May 12, 2022

Review: Iced Over (Barks & Beans Cafe Cozy Mystery #2) by Heather Day Gilbert

About the Book
Welcome to the Barks & Beans Cafe, a quaint place where folks pet shelter dogs while enjoying a cup of java...and where murder sometimes pays a visit.

Black Friday turns fatal when an armored security truck hits an icy patch and runs over an embankment near the cafe. With one driver dead and the other in a coma, police are baffled by the discovery that $500,000 is missing from the truck's cache.

When strangers show up at Barks & Beans asking nosy questions about a young cafe employee, Macy's mama bear instincts kick in. She can't ignore what her gut is telling her—that things aren't all they seem on the surface—and with a little help from her brother, Bo, and her Great Dane, Coal, Macy follows up on a few leads of her own. But if the ruthless thief beats her to the stash, the thin ice she's been skating on might just crack.

Join siblings Macy and Bo Hatfield as they sniff out crimes in their hometown...with plenty of dogs along for the ride! The Barks & Beans Cafe cozy mystery series features a small town, an amateur sleuth, and no swearing or graphic scenes.

(Available in Kindle Unlimited at time of posting)

MY THOUGHTS

I really enjoyed visiting Macy, Bo, and Coal again, and solving another mystery alongside them. I loved the first book, so I was eager to read this sequel. It was just as good as its predecessor.

I loved seeing Macy's caring nature towards her employees. It was nice to read about a boss who actually cares and goes the extra mile for their staff. I was also happy to get to know Titan a little better. I really like him. Plus, I find it so funny that Macy is a Hatfield and Titan is a McCoy.

Coal's such a lovable doggie. So protective and sweet. And I've gotta say, I LOVED Waffles. What a hilarious, crazy, and endearing dog! She reminded me of a combination of a couple of my dogs. Such a troublemaker, but so adorable.

The mystery kept me guessing until the reveal. I was shocked with how things turned out. I didn't see that coming at all. I love being surprised like that.

If you're a fan of cozy mysteries, I highly recommend this series. It's so much fun! I'm very much looking forward to checking out book three.

4.5 STARS

2 comments:

  1. Waffles and Coal sound great! I think they'd be my favorite part of this one. :)

    ReplyDelete