Friday, September 8, 2017

Book Beginnings + Friday 56: Crown of Souls (The Tox Files #2) by Ronie Kendig

Book Beginnings is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader that asks you to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you're reading.

Friday 56 is hosted by Freda's Voice and asks you to grab a book (any book), turn to page 56 or 56% in your ereader and share a non-spoilery sentence or two.

This week I'm featuring Crown of Souls by Ronie Kendig. It just released Tuesday and... WOW... I've gotta say, this is Kendig at her finest! You can check out my review here.


Book Beginning

It took one ten thousandth of a second - exactly 0.000169 seconds - for the bullet to rip through his shoulder.

Friday 56 (56% on my Kindle)

"'Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster,'" Tox said.

"'And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you,'" Alec finished the Nietzsche quote with a long, satisfied chuckle. "Oh, this is rich Tox. Quoting a philologist who collapsed and lost his mental faculties at fifty-five?"


About the Book

"Kendig has out done herself."--RT Book Reviews on Conspiracy of Silence

Six months after stopping a deadly plague, Cole "Tox" Russell and his team are enjoying a little rest. That peace is short-lived when a sniper shot hits Tox. The enemy is discovered to be one of their own, a rogue Special Forces team operator.

Alec King is perhaps the only person as skilled as Tox, and he's out for justice. Furious with orders that got his men killed, he intends to make those responsible pay. And he insists Tox join him, believing they are the same breed of soldier.

Afraid his old friend is right, Tox battles a growing darkness within himself as he and his team engage in another deadly encounter with antiquity. It appears Alec is cheating--he's using a mysterious artifact, a crown that history has linked to some of the worst slaughters in humanity. Racing to stop Alec before his vengeance is unleashed, Tox must fight the monster without becoming one.


What have you been reading lately? Leave a comment below and let me know.

14 comments:

  1. I love this author! I have one or two of her books on my TBR!

    http://collettaskitchensink.blogspot.com/2017/09/teaser-tuesday-one-more-last-chance-9517.html

    Colletta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's one of my favorites! There's never a dull moment in her books! Thanks for coming by! :)

      Delete
  2. I've not heard of this author before and this sounds like a series I'd enjoy. Thanks for sharing it!

    My Friday 56 from Between A Ghost And A Spooky Place

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This series is super action-packed! Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  3. I love the first sentence of the 56. I would love for you and your readers to check out mine . . . http://tinyurl.com/LisaKsBookReviewsPATPD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That first line definitely hooked me! Thanks for visiting! :)

      Delete
  4. This sounds good. The author is new to me. I'm reading All the Secret Places by Anna Carlyle this week. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crown of Souls has been my favorite Kendig book yet! She knows how to keep a reader hooked! Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  5. A new author to me, but it sounds tempting. Thanks for sharing, and here's mine: “I’LL HAVE WHAT SHE’S HAVING”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've really liked every book of Kendig's that I've read. She's definitely worth checking out. Thanks for coming by! :)

      Delete
  6. You have me intrigued!! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete