Thursday, October 3, 2019

Book Beginnings + Friday 56: Belinda Blake and the Snake in the Grass by Heather Day Gilbert

Book Beginnings is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader that asks you to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you're reading. Friday 56 is hosted by Freda's Voice and asks you to grab a book (any book), turn to page 56 or 56% in your ereader and share a non-spoilery sentence or two.

This week I'm featuring a super fun cozy mystery, Belinda Blake and the Snake in the Grass by Heather Day Gilbert.

About the Book
When exotic pet-sitter Belinda Blake moves into a carriage house in tony Greenwich, Connecticut, she’s hoping to find some new clients. Instead she discovers a corpse in the garden—and a knack for solving murders . . .  
 
Pet-sitter Belinda Blake doesn’t rattle easily, but move-in day has been eventful, to say the least. The python in her care tried to slither to freedom—just as she met Stone Carrington V, her landlords’ disarmingly handsome son. With the constrictor back in its cage, she heads out to the garden, only to discover a designer shoe poking out of the boxwood hedge—attached to a woman’s dead body.

The victim, Margo Fenton, was a Carrington family friend, and no one in their circle seems above suspicion. Between client trips to Manhattan and visits to her family in upstate New York, Belinda begins to put the pieces together. But though she’s falling for Stone’s numerous charms, Belinda wonders if she’s cozying up to a killer. And soon, daily contact with a deadly reptile might be the least dangerous part of her life . . .

Book Beginning
The first time I saw Stone Carrington the fifth, I had a snake wrapped around my neck.

Friday 56
The snow had melted and the day seemed to be warming up nicely, so I dug around for an outfit that would blend into the landscape. Finally, I found an olive green shirt and camo pants. I added my brown boots and brown knit hat, figuring I could skulk around behind trees and bushes in this garb.


https://www.coffeeaddictedwriter.com/p/blog-page.html

You've dropped your favorite book while being chased by a herd of zombies. Would you go back to retrieve it?

No. I'd keep running and just buy another copy later. There's no way I'd give the zombies an even easier chance of catching me.


What have you been reading lately?

10 comments:

  1. I don't think I could do her job. Especially snakes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me either! I'd be too freaked out! Thanks for stopping by, Lark! Hope you have a wonderful weekend! :)

      Delete
  2. I'm definitely curious for more!! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming by, Freda! Happy weekend to you too! :)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I loved it! Thanks for visiting, Nicki! Happy reading! :)

      Delete
  4. I love a good cozy mystery. Belinda Blake and the Snake in the Grass sounds like fun. I am glad you enjoyed it!

    Chances are, I'd keep running too . . .

    have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always excited to find a good cozy series. I can't wait to start book two! Thanks for coming by! Have a great weekend! :)

      Delete
  5. I agree with you about that zombie question!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Lauren! Hope you have an awesome week! :)

      Delete