Friday, November 10, 2017

Book Beginnings + Friday 56: Bones to Pick (A Brie Hooker Mystery Book 1) by Linda Lovely

Book Beginnings is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader that asks you to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you're reading. Friday 56 is hosted by Freda's Voice and asks you to grab a book (any book), turn to page 56 or 56% in your ereader and share a non-spoilery sentence or two.

This week I'm featuring Bones to Pick (A Brie Hooker Mystery Book 1) by Linda Lovely.


Book Beginning

Hello, I'm Brie, and I'm a vegan.

It sounds like I'm introducing myself at a Vegetarians Anonymous meeting. But, trust me, there aren't enough vegetarians in Ardon County, South Carolina, to make a circle much less hold a meeting.

Friday 56

I parked in front of Eva's cabin and received the usual greeting from Braden and Jim, two of the Udderly dogs who lazed near the cabin when they were off goat-guarding duties.

About the Book

Living on a farm with four hundred goats and a cantankerous carnivore isn’t among vegan chef Brie Hooker’s list of lifetime ambitions. But she can’t walk away from her Aunt Eva, who needs help operating her dairy.

Once she calls her aunt’s goat farm home, grisly discoveries offer ample inducements for Brie to employ her entire vocabulary of cheese-and-meat curses. The troubles begin when the farm’s pot-bellied pig unearths the skull of Eva’s husband, who disappeared years back. The sheriff, kin to the deceased, sets out to pin the murder on Eva. He doesn’t reckon on Brie’s resolve to prove her aunt’s innocence. Death threats, ruinous pedicures, psychic shenanigans, and biker bar fisticuffs won’t stop Brie from unmasking the killer, even when romantic befuddlement throws her a curve.

What have you been reading lately? Leave a comment below and let me know.


20 comments:

  1. This one sounds interesting. Also, the cover is cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the cover! Thanks for coming by, Breana! Have a great weekend! :)

      Delete
  2. What a fun looking book, with a 'lovely' cover! Excuse the pun! :)

    Here's mine: http://bit.ly/2hiAJA3 Enjoy your weekend, may your books be with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does seem like a fun book! Thanks for visiting, Sassy! Happy weekend! :)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Kathy! Have a wonderful weekend! Happy reading! :)

      Delete
  4. I like the title and the author's name as well. Opening sounds fun as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The author's name is quite 'lovely'! Thanks for coming by, Mystica! Happy reading! :)

      Delete
  5. I have this one in my TBR and am way overdue in reading it. I'd love for you and your readers to check out mine! http://tinyurl.com/LisaKsBookReviewsCFF-AaB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got a couple books I have to read before this one, but I can't wait to start it. It sounds awesome! Thanks for visiting, Lisa! Happy weekend! :)

      Delete
  6. What an awesome setup. I'm not sure if I'd picked it up due to the cover, but the snippets got me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like it will be quite the hilarious read! Thanks for coming by, Roberta! Happy reading! :)

      Delete
  7. I love a good cozy mystery! And the beginning, with its opening introduction reminding us of an AA or other "anonymous" meeting.

    Thanks for sharing...and here's mine: “THE CRUELEST MONTH”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does!... quite the interesting 'anonymous' meeting, lol. Thanks for stopping by, Laurel-Rain! Have a fantastic weekend! :)

      Delete
  8. I actually snorted when I saw that wonderful cover.
    sherry @ fundinmental Friday Memes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely adore that cover! So eye-catching! Thanks for visiting, Sherry! Happy reading! :)

      Delete
  9. Sounds like a fun mystery! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was a hilarious book. Had such fun. I just shared my review yesterday. Hope you enjoy it too.

    My Friday 56 from The Memory Trees

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your review made me want to read it even more! Now, I've just gotta finish a couple of books for review and then I'm gonna start this one. Thanks for coming by, Laura! Happy reading! :)

      Delete