Thursday, February 22, 2024

Book Beginnings, First Line Friday, & Friday 56: Trapped in Yosemite by Dana Mentink

Book Beginnings is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader that asks you to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you're reading. I'm also linking up with Carrie at Reading is My Superpower for First Line Friday. Friday 56 is hosted by Freda's Voice and asks you to grab a book (any book), turn to page 56 or 56% in your ereader and share a non-spoilery sentence or two. Freda is taking a hiatus right now, but Anne over at My Head is Full of Books has taken over until Freda returns.

This week I'm featuring Trapped in Yosemite by Dana Mentink. I was lucky enough to read an advanced copy of this book, and I loved it. It releases Tuesday, and I'll have my review up that day too. 

About the Book
When a massive earthquake levels the region, secrets and unknown dangers are exposed…

The ground in still-icy Yosemite National Park isn’t stable, and K-9 handler Von Sharpe fears the worst. But his worries are pushed aside when he sees an SUV viciously forced off the road…with his ex-fiancĂ©e at the wheel. It’s only when Stella Rivers steps out of the vehicle that the very ground under their feet cracks and breaks with the onslaught of a terrifying earthquake.
 
When her meeting with a mysterious client is ambushed, Stella witnesses the man being gunned down by a sniper and becomes a target herself. With the threat of aftershocks triggering landslides and floods, the new mom has no choice but to run to save her baby girl—even if it means teaming up with the man who has no idea he fathered her child.

Trapped in a dangerously unstable wilderness with a killer closing in, Von and Stella are running out of time to get to safety. And every fissure reveals a new secret that will shake them to their foundation…

Book Beginnings / First Line Friday
Stella Rivers scoured the dense shrubbery like she'd been doing for the past hour as if the branches might somehow reach out and snatch her van off the mountain road. Ridiculous, but the isolation raked her nerves.

Friday 56
Von woke at the sound of a baby crying in between bursts of gusting wind. He pulled himself from the cot, his muscles feeling every inch of the fire escape ladder the day before.

What have you been reading lately?

16 comments:

  1. Sounds good. I've enjoyed some of this author's other books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was the first book I've read of hers, but I'm eager to read more. This one was so good! Hope you have a great weekend, Mark! :)

      Delete
  2. Wow there's a whole lot going on in this book, from earthquakes, to car crashes, to murders, to exes meeting again! That F56 also definitely has me wondering at where a baby came from in all of this! I'm glad you enjoyed it and I hope you have a lovely weekend :)
    Juli @ A Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems like anything that can go wrong will go wrong here. It made for an exciting read, though. Hope you have a great weekend, Juli! :)

      Delete
  3. Great excerpts, and I love the setting. Here's mine: BOOKISH FRIDAY

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I was at Yosemite it was absolutely overrun by people. I can't imagine it otherwise. How could this person be trapped alone there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were other people there. The roads were impassable because of the earthquake and rock slides, so they were all essentially trapped there. Hope you have a great weekend, Anne! :)

      Delete
  5. Earthquakes are something I know all too well--although probably not like the one in the book. This sounds like a nail-biter! I will have to check it out. I hope you have a great weekend, Ashley!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was action-packed and hard to put down. Hope you have a great weekend, too! :)

      Delete
  6. The title alone makes me want to read this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? It's really good, Lark. So much suspense and danger. :)

      Delete
  7. I saw this on goodreads recently. Good to hear you loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am looking forward to this one as well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the first time I've read anything by this author and I'm so excited to read more. I loved it. :)

      Delete