Tuesday, February 13, 2024

Review: While the City Sleeps by Elizabeth Camden

About the Book
Amid the hushed city, two hearts must navigate danger and deception, bound by a love that outshines the stars.

Katherine Schneider's life as a dentist in 1913 New York is upended when a patient reveals details of a deadly plot while under the influence of laughing gas. As she is plunged into danger, she seeks help from the dashing Lieutenant Jonathan Birch, a police officer she has long admired from afar.

Jonathan has harbored powerful feelings toward Katherine for years but never acted on them, knowing his dark history is something she could never abide. Now, with her safety on the line, he works alongside her through the nights as they unravel the criminal conspiracy that threatens her . . . even as he keeps his deepest secrets hidden at all costs.


MY THOUGHTS

I never would’ve thought that a book featuring a dentist would end up being one of the best I’ve read in recent memory, but “While the City Sleeps” was absolutely fantastic! It was another informative and highly entertaining historical romance from Elizabeth Camden.

I liked Jonathan and Katherine instantly. Katherine was a sweet and humble dentist. It was interesting to get a peek inside the life of a lady dentist in 1913. I also thought it was cool that Katherine wrote a monthly newspaper article that highlighted and celebrated fellow New Yorkers who kept the city running “while the city sleeps." Jonathan was a bit of a mystery at the beginning. He was polite yet kinda standoffish, and very private about his personal life. He had secrets, and I was so eager to find them out!

I was completely invested in the mystery. It was intriguing and dangerous, and it kept me turning the pages as fast as I could.

I didn’t want this story to end! It was so good! If you’re a fan of historical romances that feature an intriguing mystery, you’ll love this book! I highly, highly recommend it!

I received a copy of this book via NetGalley and voluntarily reviewed it. All thoughts and comments are my honest opinion.

Favorite Quote: "Don't ever doubt in the darkness what is true in the light. If God is good and trustworthy in the easy times, you need to trust him during the dark nights of the soul as well."

FIVE STARS

4 comments:

  1. Fabulous review, Ashley! I just added this one to my TBR :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A dentist in 1913...that's unexpected. I'm glad this one turned out to be such a good read. :D And I love that quote!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't expecting to love a book about a dentist so much. But I love that Elizabeth Camden always writes about little-known facts, people, or events of history. It's always so interesting. :)

      Delete