Thursday, July 13, 2023

Review: Vortex by Anne Wheeler

About the Book
Bloodthirsty immortals weren't part of his orders.

When Coralie Frazer arrives at Nimbus Station aboard the National Space Research Council starship Triumph, it’s not as the engineer she expected to be. Light-years and several wormhole jumps from Earth, she’s now the prisoner of her former crew, and they want nothing from her but the blood that keeps them alive. When she’s granted a sliver of unexpected freedom, she jumps at the chance to escape—but fleeing seems impossible when Earth might as well be in another universe.

Commander Josiah O’Donnell has his own problems, and taking reluctant command of the newest United States Orbital Guard cutter Bayonet is the least of them. Fresh off medical leave and tasked with locating Triumph and rescuing her crew, he knows the wormholes he’s meant to traverse are hazardous—but what’s on the other side might be more perilous than he ever imagined.

Desperate to save her fellow captive blood sources, Coralie doesn’t intend to fail. Haunted by the memories of his disastrous last assignment, Josiah won’t allow more death. There’s just one problem: success for either means condemning a thousand others.


MY THOUGHTS

This was my first time reading anything by Anne Wheeler and now I want to read everything she's written! This was so good! One of the best I've read this year. I've been in the mood for a good sci-fi book for a while now, and while I've read a few lately that I've enjoyed, they didn't quite hit the mark. But this one? It was exactly what I was looking for and so much more!​

The first chapter was incredibly intriguing, and things just kept getting more interesting from there. The characters were complex and the world-building was fantastic. Sometimes I get confused with all the science in these kinds of books, but not here. Everything was easy to understand but didn't feel dumbed down. There were twists I never saw coming and a sense of danger that never quite went away.

This book followed me into my dreams. It was constantly on my mind. I'm still thinking about it and I imagine I will for a long time. If you're a fan of science fiction, don't hesitate. Run and grab yourself a copy of this book right now. You won't be disappointed.

FIVE STARS

4 comments:

  1. Another sci-fi novel for my list! I love a fast and fun space adventure, and the whole thing with the crew needing her blood is creepily intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? It was such an interesting premise and so well written. It got me in the mood to read more sci-fi. I hope you enjoy this one if you do get the chance to read it. :)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I'm still thinking about it. It's one of my favorite science fiction books I've read in a long time. :D

      Delete