Thursday, July 27, 2023

Book Beginnings, First Line Friday, & Friday 56: Just the Nicest Person (True Crime Junkies #1) by Christy Barritt

Book Beginnings is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader that asks you to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you're reading. Friday 56 is hosted by Freda's Voice and asks you to grab a book (any book), turn to page 56 or 56% in your ereader and share a non-spoilery sentence or two. I'm also linking up with Carrie at Reading is My Superpower for First Line Friday.

This week I'm featuring Just the Nicest Person (True Crime Junkies #1) by Christy Barritt. Yep, another Christy Barritt one, lol. This is the start of a brand new series, and I'm really enjoying it so far. It's a little different than Barritt's norm, but so good!

About the Book
Strangers—each with their own secrets—are thrown together after the murder of a beloved true crime podcaster.

Disgraced attorney Andi Slade is seeking justice for the killer who destroyed her reputation and her career. But going undercover as an ice road trucker in Alaska to find answers is just the tip of the iceberg. A brutal snowstorm, a handsome stranger, and an unsolved cold case send Andi's plans into a tailspin.

Former CID investigator Duke McAllister refuses to give up searching for his fiancée who disappeared two years ago on the Dalton Highway. When he rescues a woman on the side of the road, he knows just how much danger she’s in. Stranded together and butting heads, they discover a common interest: true crime.

When their favorite local Alaskan podcaster goes radio silent right before revealing the name of a cold case killer, they dive in to investigate only to make a terrifyingly frigid discovery. Can these strangers work together to find answers before the biting, dangerous cold claims their lives? Or even worse . . . before the killer comes looking for his own brand of justice?

Book Beginnings / First Line Friday
"Henrietta Blanco was just the nicest person. She was a mother, a wife, and a homesteader, loved by her family, church and community. And she was murdered in cold blood eight years ago."

Friday 56
"I didn't want to freak out Mariella and Matthew." He lowered his voice. "But do you have any idea who that shooter was? Is there anything you're not telling me?"

What have you been reading lately?

22 comments:

  1. This sounds intriguing. Glad to hear you are enjoying it. And glad to see others who featuring the same author multiple times. I try to spread it out to different authors, but when you are reading a favorite, it's hard not to share.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! I really try to spread it out, but sometimes I get stuck on an author, lol. Hope you have a great weekend! :)

      Delete
  2. I love how true crime and especially true crime podcasts are becoming a thing in thrillers lately! I hope this new series hits the spot for you as much as Barritt's other books! I hope you have a lovely weekend :)
    Juli @ A Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Juli! I love that too. Hope you have a wonderful weekend! :)

      Delete
  3. This sounds like a very interesting story, I think I would enjoy this. Thank you for sharing. Have a great weekend, Ashley ☕🌞📚

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have about 20% left in the book and am loving it. Hope you have a great weekend too! :)

      Delete
  4. I love true crime, so a story based on true crime is appealing to me! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Friday!
    I'm just starting Voice of the Ancient by Connilyn Cossette. So excited to read this book!
    "The enemy grinned at me, tipping his chin upward as he slapped a flat palm to his chest, daring me to attack again."
    I hope you have an excellent weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds so good! Thanks for sharing, Nicole! Hope you have an excellent weekend too! :)

      Delete
  6. Very intriguing and off to a good start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really enjoying it so far. Hope you have a great weekend, Anne! :)

      Delete
  7. I might have to try this author myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's one of my favorites. Happy weekend, Lauren! :)

      Delete
  8. I love that cover!! I REALLY, REALLY need to start reading her books again!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the cover too! There's something so eye-catching about it. Hope you have a great weekend, Cindy! :)

      Delete
  9. How many books (and series) has Barritt written now? I'm so amazed by her ability to write that much...and write books that are all good, too. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm amazed by her ability too. I don't know how she does it. I just looked at her Amazon page and it lists 286 books! 😲 I didn't realize there were so many! Hope you have a great weekend, Lark! :)

      Delete