Tuesday, July 11, 2023

Review: Cold Pursuit (Ryland & St. Clair #1) by Nancy Mehl

About the Book (From Goodreads)
Ex-FBI profiler River Ryland still suffers from PTSD after a case that went horribly wrong. Needing a fresh start, she moves to St. Louis to be near her ailing mother and opens a private investigation firm with her friend and former FBI partner, Tony St. Clair. They're soon approached by a grieving mother who wants them to find out what happened to her teenaged son who disappeared four years ago. River knows there's almost no hope the boy is still alive, but his mother needs closure, and River and Tony need a case, no matter how cold it might be.

But as they follow the boy's trail, which gets more complicated at every turn, they find themselves in the path of a murderer determined to punish anyone who gets in his way. With a killer on the loose set on finishing the job he started, will River be pulled back into her tormented past or finally face the demons that haunt her?

With her trademark blend of page-turning thrills and intricate plots, Nancy Mehl delivers a spine-tingling thriller that will keep readers up all night.


MY THOUGHTS

This was a fast-paced book that I had a hard time putting down. The first sentence grabbed my attention, and I was immediately hooked. There was a ton of suspense and intrigue that kept ramping up, and there were multiple times where my anxiety rose so high that I could hardly catch my breath.
 
I quickly came to care for both River and Tony. I liked the fact that they were both former Behavior Analysts. That job fascinates me, so it was really interesting to see them use the skills from their previous job in their new roles as private investigators. And while River annoyed me a time or two in the beginning, I was still fully in her corner and rooting her on, hoping she'd get past her issues and see the glorious light of God.
 
The bad guy was very unnerving. He made the hair on the back of my neck stand up several times. I had literal shivers running down my back a couple of times too. Chilling! 
 
There were multiple mysteries, and a lot was going on, but I never found it to be confusing or too much. While the main mystery was solved, there's another one that, I'm guessing, will continue throughout the whole series, which I'm very eager for. The next book can't come out soon enough!
 
I received an advanced copy of this book and voluntarily reviewed it. All thoughts and comments are my honest opinion.

FOUR STARS

5 comments:

  1. Will River and Tony be continuing characters in this series then? Because them both being former behavior analysts intrigues me, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great question, Lark! Now I am curious as well...so I looked it up and it sounds like they are the main characters in the second book :)

      Delete
    2. Like Cindy said, they are. They're great characters, so I'm excited to read more about them. I don't know what it is about behavior analysts, but they're so fascinating to read about.

      Delete
  2. Great review, Ashley! I am looking forward to reading this one soon!

    ReplyDelete