Monday, June 10, 2019

Review: The Number of Love (Codebreakers #1) by Roseanna M. White

About the Book
Three years into the Great War, England's greatest asset is their intelligence network--field agents risking their lives to gather information, and codebreakers able to crack every German telegram. Margot De Wilde thrives in the environment of the secretive Room 40, where she spends her days deciphering intercepted messages. But when her world is turned upside down by an unexpected loss, for the first time in her life numbers aren't enough.

Drake Elton returns wounded from the field, followed by an enemy who just won't give up. He's smitten quickly by the intelligent Margot, but how can he convince a girl who lives entirely in her mind that sometimes life's answers lie in the heart?

Amid biological warfare, encrypted letters, and a German spy who wants to destroy not just them but others they love, Margot and Drake will have to work together to save themselves from the very secrets that brought them together.



My Thoughts

I'm at a loss for words to describe how wonderful this book was. To say it's good is a vast understatement. I've loved all of Roseanna White's books, but this one takes the cake. She's out done herself here. The Number of Love is my favorite one yet. In fact, I think it's the best book I've read this year (and I've read quite a few great ones).

Time flew by while I was reading. I'd look up at the clock and be shocked by how much time had passed. I was completely immersed in the story, feeling as if I was right there, back in 1917, with these characters.

With a sarcastic wit and a sharp, brilliant mind, Margot's a leading lady unlike any other. The way that her mind worked, her way with numbers, was so fascinating. Drake was a perfect match for her. His respect and his patience with her was so sweet. And I have to say, I loved all the appearances of the characters from some of White's previous books. It was so fun to see them again.

I can't recommend this highly enough. It was exciting and romantic and just an all-around awesome story. It's one not to be missed!

I received a copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley and voluntarily reviewed it. All thoughts and comments are my honest opinion.

Five Stars

4 comments:

  1. This does sound really good: the time period, the code-breaking, the romance! Even better? My library actually has it on order. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! So happy to hear your library is getting a copy! Thanks for coming by, Lark! :)

      Delete
  2. So glad to know you enjoyed this one! I've heard good things about Roseanna's books and seen this one on Instagram a lot. I'm not sure if I've ever finished one of her books or not, but when I'm less distracted, I would like to give one a chance. I like that so many of her books seem to have some intrigue/mystery, which is always fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her books are so good! Her Culper Ring series has been a longstanding favorite of mine, but if this book is indicative of what the rest of this series is going to be like, it just might surpass the Culpers. Thanks for coming by, Rissi! :)

      Delete