Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Top Ten Tuesday: Books My Dad and I Loved



Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and The Bookish.

This week's theme is a Father's Day Freebie, so I thought I'd share some books my Dad and I both enjoyed. I know I have WAY more than ten books listed, but I thought since it's Father's Day, why not go all out. My Dad listens to a lot of audiobooks, so most of these are available in that format, but not all of them.


Dystopia/Post Apocalyptic

This is probably our favorite genre. It's always interesting and scary to think about the types of situations/scenarios in these types of books. EMP's and massive solar flares wipe out modern technology in Deep Shadows, The Alliance, and Last Light. Ashfall takes a look at what the fallout might be if the Yellowstone supervolcano erupts and the Swipe Series details a seriously corrupt and evil government.



WWII

My favorite historical time period to read is WWII and I knew my Dad would love these books and love learning more about WWII. So, I bought these for him on Audible and he really enjoyed them.

Historical

She Walks in Power is a tale of good vs. evil set in medieval times. The Ballantyne Legacy Series follows three generations of Ballantynes from the 1780s to the 1850s. The Watchmaker's Daughter is a historical fantasy with a quirky cast of characters and an intriguing mystery.



Cozy Mysteries

These are super fun mysteries that are a bit on the lighter side.



Mystery/Suspense/Thrillers

This genre is right up there with dystopias as one of our favorites. It's always fun to ask each other whether we've figured things out yet or what our theories are.



Funny

Everybody needs a good laugh every once in awhile and these two sure brought many smiles to our faces. Whether it was walking the cat in The Thirteenth Chance or Uncle Laz and his 'mob stories' in Fools Rush In, we both still talk about these books.



Misc.

These books are a little bit on the different side for what my Dad usually likes, but when I was telling him about them, he was intrigued enough to want to pick them up. House Immortal was super unique. I don't really know how to categorize it. It's a bit urban fantasy, dystopia, futuristic, paranormal with a little Frankenstein twist. The Lunar Chronicles, who hasn't heard of that wonderful series? They're super fun Sci-Fi fairy-tale retellings set in a Dystopian future. And The Study Series!... The best fantasy series out there right now! (I would probably recommend House Immortal and The Study Series for ages 16 and up.)


What's your dad's favorite book or genre? Do you have a favorite fictional Dad? Leave a comment below and let me know.

12 comments:

  1. Last Light is one of my favorite books of all time! Great list!! Kelly @ http://morebooksmeansmorecoffee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last Light was great! Thanks for stopping by! Happy reading! :)

      Delete
  2. I'll bet there are some good dads in those cozy mysteries. I read a cozy now and then and I like the tight knit family you sometimes see in those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so true about cozies! I love the family dynamic in the Magic Potion Mysteries, fun parents, crazy aunts, feuding cousins... so great! Thanks for visiting! Happy reading! :)

      Delete
  3. It's so cool that you divided these into time periods. What a nifty way to do it.

    Cinder was a good story as well.

    Here is my Top Ten Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cinder was so good! Thanks for stopping by! Happy reading! :)

      Delete
  4. A nice, comprehensive list, with lots of choices! Thank you!

    http://readerbuzz.blogspot.com/2017/06/the-most-amazing-fathers-in-books-and.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. My dad and I both love reading nonfiction, I often ending up getting great reads after he's done with them! 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so neat! When my dad finishes a great book, he's always telling me I HAVE to read it! It's fun to share great books with him.

      Delete
  6. Great books! I think one of my favorite fictional dads would be Case Walker in the Walker Family Series by Melissa Tagg. 😃

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great choice! I love Case and the whole Walker clan!

      Delete