Thursday, June 22, 2017

Review: Raging Storm (The Remnant Book 2) by Vannetta Chapman


Summary

In the Darkness,
Anarchy Awakens

When a massive solar flare wiped out all modern technology across the globe, the small town of Abney, Texas, was thrown into chaos. Shelby Sparks and her teenage son, Carter, have found refuge, but Shelby knows she can't simply remain hidden. Carter is a type 1 diabetic in need of insulin—and Shelby will risk her life traveling to Austin to make sure he gets it.

Shelby's best friend and high school sweetheart, Max Berkman, won't even consider letting her make the perilous journey alone. Together, they manage to reach the capital—only to discover that while things are desperate in Abney, Austin has turned into an urban nightmare on the brink of anarchy.

Shelby and Max's search for medical supplies will lead them into terrifying territory, where the only thing more uncertain than finding what they need is the hope of making it out of the city alive.
* * *
In this second book in an eerily plausible, action-packed dystopian series, survival will be threatened and faith will be put to the ultimate test as a raging storm engulfs America.


My Review

Four Stars

I absolutely loved Deep Shadows, book one, and have been super excited to read Raging Storm. My mom read this before me and devoured it, but warned me that I might want to wait until it was closer to the release date for book three, Light of Dawn, because of the gigantic cliffhanger. Since it's close to the release of Light of Dawn, I thought I should get to reading this one... and now I completely understand my mom's warning!... I NEED BOOK THREE NOW!

It took me a little bit to get into this book, but once I did, I had a difficult time putting it down! My favorite parts were reading about Carter and life on the ranch with Max's parents Georgia and Roy. They're such a great influence on Carter and I loved watching him grow and adapt to so much in such a short amount of time.

Shelby got on my nerves a bit in the beginning. I completely understood her impatience and attitude, but I still cringed when she took it out on others. Max was one of my favorite characters. He's a steady, strong, good guy, a stable force in a world gone mad. A lot was revealed about the mysterious Dr. Bhatti, what he was hiding, what he was doing in Abney... very interesting!

I had so much anxiety the entire book. There was a sense of urgency that permeated all throughout and I couldn't read it fast enough. The author did a magnificent job at painting a vivid and realistic picture of what the world would look like if the electrical grid goes down and all modern technology is lost. It's haunting and bleak at times, but there's also an underlying theme of hope. I seriously can't wait to read Light of Dawn and I highly recommend this series to everyone!


To learn more about Vannetta Chapman visit her website, Facebook page, Twitter, Instagram, or blog.

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It's a really great series! I'm loving it! Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  2. This is a great series! Really makes you stop and think!

    ReplyDelete