Thursday, April 11, 2024

Book Beginnings, First Line Friday, & Friday 56: Twilight Falls (Shady Hollow #4) by Juneau Black

Book Beginnings is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader that asks you to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you're reading. I'm also linking up with Carrie at Reading is My Superpower for First Line Friday. Friday 56 is hosted by Freda's Voice and asks you to grab a book (any book), turn to page 56 or 56% in your ereader and share a non-spoilery sentence or two. Freda is taking a hiatus right now, but Anne over at My Head is Full of Books has taken over in the meantime.

This week I'm featuring Twilight Falls (Shady Hollow #4)  by Juneau Black. This is such a fun cozy mystery series!

About the Book
The fourth book in the Shady Hollow mystery series sees Vera embroiled in a case involving star-crossed lovers whose affair may have turned deadly.

It's spring in Shady Hollow, and romance is in the air. Even reporter Vera Vixen is caught up in the season as her relationship with new police chief Orville Braun blossoms. But true love is not always smooth sailing, as two of the hollow's young residents come to find. Jonah Atwater and Stasia von Beaverpelt find themselves battling their families in order to be together. And when Jonah's father, Shelby, goes over the top of Twilight Falls, all signs point to Stasia being the murderer.

The evidence against Stasia appears overwhelming, and Orville arrests her. It looks like the case is closed, but Vera isn't so sure. There are almost too many clues indicating Stasia is the killer, leading her to suspect someone is setting Stasia up. Besides, what about the mysterious ghostly creature skulking around town at night? Maybe he or she was involved? As Vera investigates further, her sleuthing puts her in direct opposition to Orville, and soon she's stirred up a hornet's nest of trouble.

Book Beginnings / First Line Friday
Can anything match the particular loveliness of the forest in spring? The sun slants upward day by day, and the air warms little by little, from forbidding to invigorating, summoning you to go walking amid the hills. Soon the patches and ragged piles of snow melt into nothingness, and the frozen ground softens as the seeds and roots wake up beneath it, eager to reach the surfaces.

Friday 56
Ugh, Orville was going in the wrong direction with his investigation, but he didn't want to admit it. His arrogance would cost him, but it might cost some innocent creatures even more.

What have you been reading lately?

16 comments:

  1. The snippets are nice. I really love the writing, especially the descriptions of a forest in spring. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the first book in the series, but I haven't read it. Yet. These snippets are great. If only I had time to start the series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so good! I think you'd enjoy it, Mark! :)

      Delete
  3. Haven't read any of this series, but it sounds like fun. The fact that Orville is headed in the wrong direction, but doesn't want to admit it, aroused my curiosity. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Orville means well, but he's not always the greatest detective. :)

      Delete
  4. The fourth book in a series? You must really enjoy it. I do love the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These quotes are intriguing. I've been wanting to start that series for a while!

    Have a great weekend!

    Emily @ Budget Tales Book Blog
    My post:
    https://budgettalesblog.wordpress.com/2024/04/12/first-line-friday-romancing-mr-bridgerton-by-julia-quinn/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I keep hearing good things about this series and want to try it. I love that opening. I want to step right into that scene. Have a wonderful weekend, Ashley!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I listened to the first one in this series and I really enjoyed it. I've been trying to borrow the audiobooks for the rest of the series, but I can't find them on the borrowing apps I have. One day I will listen to them. Have a great weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! I hope those apps get them. They're all so much fun! :)

      Delete
  8. Happy Friday!
    I'm just starting Loyally, Luke by Pepper Basham. I already love it.
    "Luke was a big fan of solid good sense and few emotional tangles. In fact, he didn't like any sort of tangles."
    Have a good weekend! 🙂❤️📚

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so excited for Luke's story! So glad to hear you're loving it. :)

      Delete