Thursday, May 14, 2020

Book Beginnings + Friday 56: Spiders From Mars (Sylvia Stryker Space Case #4) by Diane Vallere

Book Beginnings is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader that asks you to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you're reading. Friday 56 is hosted by Freda's Voice and asks you to grab a book (any book), turn to page 56 or 56% in your ereader and share a non-spoilery sentence or two.


About the Book
She wants to free her mentor from jail. A frame-up keeps him trapped in the system. Can she discover a killer before he disappears forever?

Uniform Lieutenant Sylvia Stryker is about to take off on her fourth Moon Unit Cruise. Her family is gone, her planet was blown up, and her mentor, Neptune, is behind bars indefinitely. But when a space pirate is murdered inside the space prison and Neptune is assumed guilty, Sylvia might lose him for more than the duration of his sentence.

Forget the stability of her job for Moon Unit Corporation. Losing one more person might leave Sylvia isolated forever. Faced with possibly-corrupt galactic government, a team of questionable freelancers, and the limits of her physical capabilities, she goes all-in to get him out. If she fails, she’ll lose the only connection that gives her hope for the future.

Can Sylvia design a successful mission on her own to save the person who taught her everything?

Spiders from Mars is the fourth quirky adventure in the Sylvia Stryker Space Case Cozy Mystery series. If you like resourceful characters, unique settings, and outer space fun, then you’ll love Diane Vallere’s whimsical Space Case Cozy Mystery series.

Book Beginning
The first thing I did was have Neptune declared legally dead. It was an unlikely start to a rescue mission, but it was my first one, and Neptune's incarceration made it difficult to ask him for advice.

Friday 56
"Money can't buy happiness."
"Maybe not, but it can buy planets."
I hadn't expected that. "You're buying a planet?"
"I'm in a bidding war for Pluto as we speak."
"I don't think Pluto is a planet anymore. Planetoid, maybe."
"My first act of Congress after taking possession is to reinstate planet status. I hired a team of graphic artists to design our new flag. Want to see?"

What have you been reading lately?

26 comments:

  1. Spiders From Mars looks interesting. The synopsis reminds me a little of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, and I like the quotes. Also, the cover is really cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is one of those books I still need to read. Hopefully one of these days. Thanks for coming by, Breana! :)

      Delete
  2. Great minds think alike in outer space. I picked this book for my blog this week, although I did pick a different quote for the 56.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great minds, indeed! I had a fun time with this book. There's nothing quite like a cozy set in space. Thanks for stopping by, Mark! :)

      Delete
  3. Now I am intrigued. Thanks for sharing, and here's mine: “THE CLOSER YOU GET”

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds comical to me! Happy weekend, stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It had me cracking up several times. Thanks for coming by, Freda. Hope you have a happy weekend and stay safe, too! :)

      Delete
  5. Love that line: "It can buy planets." Totally made me laugh. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It made me laugh too. To have the kind of money to buy a planet, wow! Thanks for stopping by, Lark! :)

      Delete
  6. Hi,
    Sounds interesting, but not my kind of
    book...have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you have a great day, too, Sherrie! Happy reading! :)

      Delete
  7. That looks good. I like humor in my books. I have some books by this author but none from this series.

    Happy reading and happy weekend!

    My Friday Book Memes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy a good humorous book, too. Especially these days. Thanks for coming by, Bea! :)

      Delete
  8. Count me in for this one! It's definitely my cup of tea :)
    Konna @ The Reading Armchair

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a fun read! Thanks for visiting, Konna! :)

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. This is probably my favorite cover of the series. The colors make me think of rainbow sherbet. Yum, lol. Thanks for stopping by, Anne! :)

      Delete
  10. It sounds very entertaining! I am trying to read a bunch of mysteries and thrillers because literature is not keeping my attention right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been drawn to mysteries and thrillers during this time too. Thanks for coming by, Gillion! :)

      Delete
  11. Catchy title and cover design. Hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed it. Thanks for the visit, Nicki! :)

      Delete
  12. I want to read this just based on the cover alone.

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? It's such a great cover. Thanks for coming by, Lauren! :)

      Delete
  13. Replies
    1. It's a really fun series. Thanks for visiting, Lily! :)

      Delete