Thursday, May 7, 2020

Book Beginnings + Friday 56: The Lady in the Coppergate Tower by Nancy Campbell Allen

Book Beginnings is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader that asks you to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you're reading. Friday 56 is hosted by Freda's Voice and asks you to grab a book (any book), turn to page 56 or 56% in your ereader and share a non-spoilery sentence or two.

This week I'm featuring a fun steampunk retelling of Rapunzel, The Lady in the Coppergate Tower by Nancy Campbell Allen.

About the Book
Hazel Hughes has spent her life believing she is a Medium—someone who can talk to ghosts. But as of yet, that skill has remained frustratingly elusive. She is also suffering from a reoccurring childhood dream of someone who looks almost exactly like Hazel, but this dream version of herself is slowly going mad.

Sam MacInnes is a talented surgeon who runs in the highest social circles thanks to his family’s position and history. When Sam hires Hazel to assist him with his medical practice, he is immediately drawn to her intelligence, wit, and beauty.

Their potential relationship is derailed one evening when a mysterious count arrives in London and reveals to Hazel the truth about her past: she was abducted at birth and her twin sister has fallen dangerously ill.

Hazel agrees to travel to Romania with Count Petrescu in order to save her sister, and Sam insists on accompanying her. The count has secrets, though, and the journey grows more sinister with every mile that draws Hazel closer to her homeland. Even as her feelings for Sam become deeper and more complicated, she fears she might not survive the quest to save her sister with her heart intact, not to mention her life. She must learn to draw on gifts she doesn’t know she has if they are going to ever return home again.

Hazel and Sam must fight their way past dark magic, clockwork beasts, and their own insecurities as they try to reach her sister in the impenetrable Coppergate Tower before time runs out.

Book Beginning
Dr. Samuel MacInnes lay on his back in his bed at Blackwell Manor, arms behind his head, and looked at the night sky. Rather than a traditional guest room, his accommodations were in the third-floor observatory, complete with domed glass ceiling.

Friday 56
He descended to Deck Two, glanced in the Main Room, which was eerily empty and dimly lit. Perhaps she might have gone to the infirmary? He jogged down the steps to the next level and checked each open door. 

What have you been reading lately? 

24 comments:

  1. This is currently sitting on my TBR! I hope it's good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed it! It took me just a little bit to get into it, but once I did, I could hardly put it down. Hope you love it! :)

      Delete
  2. That guest room sounds intriguing. Thanks for sharing, and here's mine: “LITTLE SECRETS”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? I'd love to stay in a room like that! :)

      Delete
  3. I'm intrigued by your snippets, sounds like a good read!! Happy weekend, stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Freda! Hope you have a great week! Stay safe! :)

      Delete
  4. I like these steampunk fairy tale retellings. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I might just have to add this one to my TBR. My Friday Post:
    https://ignorantsouthafrican.wordpress.com/2020/05/08/funtastic-friday-2-book-beginnings-and-friday56/

    ReplyDelete
  6. In one of those weird coincidences, I walked by some sidewalk art that featured Rapunzel this morning. Wonder if they were reading this book!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Steampunk Rapunzel sounds like a fun idea. Hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so fun! And quite a unique twist on the original. :)

      Delete
  8. I'm a simple reader - I see the words "steampunk" and "retelling of Rapunzel" and I've already added the book to my TBR list :)
    Konna @ The Reading Armchair

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a soft spot for retellings and steampunk, so when they're combined I can't resist. :)

      Delete
  9. Huh, the blurb talks about Hazel as if she's the MC but the excerpts are from Sam's POV. Is the book dual POV or did the author pull a bait and switch?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a dual POV. I didn't even realize both were from Sam's POV until you mentioned it, lol. :)

      Delete
  10. This sounds like it could be fun. It's going on my tbr.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes! I need to read this. I love re-tellings like this. And steampunk to boot. I hope you have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't seem to get enough of those two genres. They're so much fun! Hope you have a great week, too! :)

      Delete