Thursday, May 14, 2020

Review: The Lady in the Coppergate Tower by Nancy Campbell Allen

About the Book
Hazel Hughes has spent her life believing she is a Medium—someone who can talk to ghosts. But as of yet, that skill has remained frustratingly elusive. She is also suffering from a reoccurring childhood dream of someone who looks almost exactly like Hazel, but this dream version of herself is slowly going mad.

Sam MacInnes is a talented surgeon who runs in the highest social circles thanks to his family’s position and history. When Sam hires Hazel to assist him with his medical practice, he is immediately drawn to her intelligence, wit, and beauty.

Their potential relationship is derailed one evening when a mysterious count arrives in London and reveals to Hazel the truth about her past: she was abducted at birth and her twin sister has fallen dangerously ill.

Hazel agrees to travel to Romania with Count Petrescu in order to save her sister, and Sam insists on accompanying her. The count has secrets, though, and the journey grows more sinister with every mile that draws Hazel closer to her homeland. Even as her feelings for Sam become deeper and more complicated, she fears she might not survive the quest to save her sister with her heart intact, not to mention her life. She must learn to draw on gifts she doesn’t know she has if they are going to ever return home again.

Hazel and Sam must fight their way past dark magic, clockwork beasts, and their own insecurities as they try to reach her sister in the impenetrable Coppergate Tower before time runs out.


My Thoughts

The Lady in the Coppergate Tower retells the story of Rapunzel in a unique way. While it wasn't my favorite story in this series, it was still really good. It just took me a little while to get into it and connect with Hazel and Sam. But once the Count showed up, the pace really picked up and when they headed to Romania, I could hardly put it down.

I loved the change of scenery. The submersible was a fun setting and then Romania was great. I always find it to be a fittingly creepy backdrop for books like this.

I'm loving this series and the way it combines steampunk, fairy tales, and supernatural elements. Those are three of my favorite things and it's done so well here. I'm beyond excited for Emme and Oliver's story in Brass Carriages and Glass Hearts. I can't wait!

Four Stars


4 comments:

  1. This story didn't draw me in like Allen's Beauty and the Clockwork Beast so I ended up not finishing it. But it sounds like it gets better as it goes along and I should try again. I'm really looking forward to reading Brass Carriages and Glass Hearts. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought about giving up on it a couple of times, but I kept reminding myself how much I liked the first two books and kept hoping it would improve. I'm so glad that it eventually did. It's disconcerting when that happens with a favorite series though.

      Delete
  2. A steampunk fairytale retelling? That sounds cool. I'll have to look up the series.

    ReplyDelete