Thursday, October 31, 2019

Book Beginnings + Friday 56: Whose Waves These Are by Amanda Dykes

Book Beginnings is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader that asks you to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you're reading. Friday 56 is hosted by Freda's Voice and asks you to grab a book (any book), turn to page 56 or 56% in your ereader and share a non-spoilery sentence or two.

This week I'm featuring Whose Waves These Are by Amanda Dykes. I recently finished this beautiful, uplifting, and emotional book. I loved it so much.

About the Book
In the wake of WWII, a grieving fisherman submits a poem to a local newspaper: a rallying cry for hope, purpose . . . and rocks. Send me a rock for the person you lost, and I will build something life-giving. When the poem spreads farther than he ever intended, Robert Bliss's humble words change the tide of a nation. Boxes of rocks inundate the tiny, coastal Maine town, and he sets his calloused hands to work, but the building halts when tragedy strikes.

Decades later, Annie Bliss is summoned back to Ansel-by-the-Sea when she learns her Great-Uncle Robert, the man who became her refuge during the hardest summer of her youth, is now the one in need of help. What she didn't anticipate was finding a wall of heavy boxes hiding in his home. Long-ago memories of stone ruins on a nearby island trigger her curiosity, igniting a fire in her anthropologist soul to uncover answers.

She joins forces with the handsome and mysterious harbor postman, and all her hopes of mending the decades-old chasm in her family seem to point back to the ruins. But with Robert failing fast, her search for answers battles against time, a foe as relentless as the ever-crashing waves upon the sea.

Book Beginning
"Every wave in that big old blue sea is a story."

Friday 56
Annie smiles, wondering if she has any right to intrude but hating the fact she holds knowledge that might bring some good to this courageous woman's life.

https://www.coffeeaddictedwriter.com/p/blog-page.html

Do you read classics? If so, what is your favorite?

Not very often. My favorite is Dracula by Bram Stoker. I've read it too many times to count.


What have you been reading lately?

18 comments:

  1. I read Dracula for the first time at university and fell in love with it, it's definitely due a re-read! And 'whose waves these are' sounds like a beautiful book, the premise had me choke back a tear! Have a lovely weekend and do drop by my Friday Post if you have the time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This book had me so emotional! I was tearing up all the time, but it's SO good! Thanks for stopping by, Juli! Have a great weekend! :)

      Delete
  2. Whose Waves These Are sounds like such a good book. I'm glad you liked it. A WWII beginning with an anthropology twist sounds so interesting. Definitely adding this to my Want to Read shelf. I hope you have a great weekend!

    Danica @ Shelves of Spines

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a hard time resisting a book that has a WWII setting. Thanks for coming by, Danica! Hope you have a wonderful weekend! :)

      Delete
  3. Love both of those snippets!! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The writing style is so lyrical. Loved it! Thanks for visiting, Freda! Happy weekend! :)

      Delete
  4. I have Dracula on Audio CD but have never listened to it. Perhaps I should. Thanks for the prod. My weekly review and quotes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it when you listen to it! Thanks for the visit, Anne! Have an awesome weekend! :)

      Delete
  5. Love the sound of Whose Waves These Are, especially that tiny coastal Maine town and WWII connection. Sign me up! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a charming town! Thanks for coming by, Lark! Hope you have a lovely weekend! :)

      Delete
  6. Sounds like a good book.

    It's been awhile since I read Dracula, maybe I should re read it soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to reread it again soon. Thanks for stopping by, Amelia! Have a great weekend! :)

      Delete
  7. Dracula is great for this season. :)

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! Thanks for the visit, Lauren! Hope you have an amazing weekend! :)

      Delete
  8. Glad you enjoyed your latest read. Good seasonal pick for the classics too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Nicki! Hope you have a wonderful weekend! :)

      Delete
  9. Bit late to the party this week ;-) sorry. I've read classic literature over the years (including the Prince of Darkness himself) but these days I'm looking for more light entertainment. ;-)
    I hope you enjoy the rest of your week, Ashley. Here's my BBH Post
    Flora x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same way. Lighter books for me too. Thanks for coming by, Flora. Hope you have an awesome rest of the week! :)

      Delete