Thursday, October 10, 2019

Book Beginnings + Friday 56: Shade: The Complete Trilogy: A Re-Imagining of Mary Shelley's Frankenstein by Merrie Destefano

Book Beginnings is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader that asks you to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you're reading. Friday 56 is hosted by Freda's Voice and asks you to grab a book (any book), turn to page 56 or 56% in your ereader and share a non-spoilery sentence or two.


About the Book
A holiday in Switzerland is supposed to lift Mary Wollstonecraft Godwin’s spirits. She wants to forget the past and have fun. In fact, everyone in her party is running away from one indiscretion or another—from her fiancĂ© Percy Shelley to Lord Byron to Mary’s stepsister, Claire. But from the moment Mary arrives at Byron’s villa, she knows something is wrong. He rushes her indoors and forbids all of them to go out at night, claiming that the horrible weather has driven wild animals down from the mountains.

The only person who doesn’t seem to be running away from anything is a handsome, young Italian doctor, John Polidori. Instead, he is fervently pursuing local folk legends and a new scientific theory that claims people can be raised from the dead.

But it’s not until they all challenge one other to write ghost stories that the real danger begins. In a nightmare, Mary envisions a patchwork man animated by Galvanism and she begins writing Frankenstein. Likewise, fueled by local legends, John writes The Vampyre—one of the first vampire stories ever written.

What neither one of them knows is that they are conjuring a dark evil. Before long, all of their lives will be in danger—for neither of these characters are imaginary. Far from it.

Book Beginning
I was cursed from the moment I met him.

Friday 56
I wrote through the night, although there wasn't much left to this night. My story bled from my fingers, one black word at a time until many pages were filled with my curving script. I had to lose myself. I had to focus on the troubles of my patchwork man and forget about everything else.

https://www.coffeeaddictedwriter.com/p/blog-page.html

Name one book that gets you in the mood for Halloween.

I'd say any book that has a bit of a spooky-vibe will get me in the mood for Halloween. But if I had to choose just one, it'd be Dracula by Bram Stoker. Can't beat that one!


What have you been reading lately?

18 comments:

  1. Shade sounds like something I would like to read. I also like the opening sentence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed it! Thanks for coming by, Breana! Hope you have a great weekend! :)

      Delete
  2. Oh those quotes, both of them, are very compelling. I'd read on. My Friday Quotes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of those books that's almost impossible to put down. Thanks for stopping by, Anne! Happy reading! :)

      Delete
  3. This looks insanely good! Thanks for sharing! New follower!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a neat twist to the classic. Thanks for follow, Kristi! I really appreciate it! Have a wonderful weekend! :)

      Delete
  4. I love the sound of this one! :D I'm like you, I love a good re-imagining of a classic story. (I'd also pick Stoker's Dracula as my favorite Halloween book.) Have a good weekend, Ashley!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's just something so fun about seeing the classics told in new ways. I love it. Thanks for stopping by, Lark! Hope you have a good weekend too! :)

      Delete
  5. Wow, that first line is incredible. Perfect choice for this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely got me in the Halloween mood! Thanks for coming by, Roberta! Happy reading! :)

      Delete
  6. LOVE that cover and opening line!! Happy CDN Thanksgiving weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It hooked me right from the beginning. Love when that happens. Thanks for visiting, Freda! Happy weekend! :)

      Delete
  7. Sounds like a fun reimagining. Hope you are enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so good! Thanks for coming by, Nicki! Have a great weekend! :)

      Delete
  8. I don’t read a single book each and every Halloween but I am participating in a number of Halloween themed reading challenges this month. I did read the classic Dracula last year, it wasn't quite what I was expecting, a bit more Christian values than I'd thought based on the film adaptations over the decades. ;-)

    I hope you enjoy your weekend. Here's my BBH Post
    Flora x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Flora! Hope you enjoy your weekend, too! :)

      Delete
  9. Great BBH answer! I need to reread that one soon!!

    My BBH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting, Erica! Hope you have a great week! :)

      Delete