Thursday, November 1, 2018

Review: Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1) by Melissa F. Olson

About the Book
Scarlett Bernard knows about personal space: step within ten feet of her, and anything supernatural is instantly neutralized—vampires and werewolves become human again, and witches can’t cast the slightest spell. Scarlett uses her status as a null to cover up crime scenes for Los Angeles’s three most powerful magical communities, helping them keep humanity, and the LAPD, in the dark.

One night Scarlett gets caught at the scene of a grisly murder by the all-too-human LAPD cop Jesse Cruz, who blackmails her into a deal: he’ll keep quiet about the supernatural underworld if she helps him crack the case. Their pact doesn’t sit well with Dashiell, the city’s chief vampire, who fears his whole empire is at stake. And when the clues start to point to Scarlett herself, it’ll take more than her unique powers to catch the real killer and clear her name.


My Thoughts

I really enjoyed Melissa F. Olson's Boundary Magic series and have been meaning to go back and read her Scarlett Bernard series for awhile now. Dead Spots, the first installment, is so good!

Scarlett is a “null” meaning all magic and supernatural beings lose their power when she's within ten feet of them. It's quite the interesting ability. Some people find it very useful while others are very leery of it. Because of this Scarlett often finds herself in some interesting situations, but she's a strong and capable young woman who has learned to handle any situation she's thrown into.

There is a love triangle which I don't normally enjoy and I can't say that this one has changed my mind. Both guys are great which just makes things more difficult. I'm curious to see this play out, but I'm not the biggest fan of this plot point.

Dead Spots wasn't my favorite of Olson's books but I still really enjoyed it and will definitely be continuing the series. I'd recommend it to anyone who likes urban fantasy.

NOTE: This book does contain some strong language.

Four Stars

2 comments:

  1. I'm not a fan of love triangles either, but I do find the premise of Scarlett being a null interesting. Might have to give this series a try. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The null ability is super intriguing and adds a unique spin to things. Thanks for coming by, Lark! :)

      Delete