Thursday, November 15, 2018

Book Beginnings + Friday 56: The Phoenix Illusion (SPI Files #6) by Lisa Shearin

Book Beginnings is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader that asks you to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you're reading. Friday 56 is hosted by Freda's Voice and asks you to grab a book (any book), turn to page 56 or 56% in your ereader and share a non-spoilery sentence or two.

This week I'm featuring the latest installment in one of my favorite urban fantasy series, The Phoenix Illusion (SPI Files #6) by Lisa Shearin.

About the Book
The agents of Supernatural Protection & Investigation (SPI) are used to dealing with the weird and the wacky, but even they are stunned when a building from another world suddenly appears on an empty lot in New York. . .

I’m Makenna Fraser, seer for SPI, and it’s just my luck that my birthday party is literally crashed by a building from another planet. And it’s not just any building—it’s my goblin boyfriend’s house from his home world. SPI’s mission, to keep the public clueless about the supernatural, has us scrambling to find who did this and why, not to mention how.

The deeper we dig, the more we realize this incident is the opening gambit to a much larger event. Old enemies have combined forces with an even older nemesis to develop the means to kidnap an entire building and everyone in it. But who, or what, is their ultimate target? Finding out and getting to the mark before they do will require all hands on deck, including some extraterrestrial help from the goblin home world. We’re running out of time, and if we can’t get our act together, we’ll have front-row seats for the end of the world as we know it.
 

Book Beginning
It was the third night in a row of strobe-like lightning with no thunder and no rain. That should have tipped me off - it should have tipped us all off - but it didn't.

Friday 56
Vacant buildings were popping out of existence all over the Southwest, each one larger than the building before. One, we barely knew who was responsible. Two, we had no clue what their evil masterplan was. However, we were fairly certain we were running out of time to stop number one from doing number two.

What have you been reading lately?

16 comments:

  1. Hmm, I am not sure, since it's not my usual genre. But I'm curious! Thanks for sharing, and here's mine:
    ”THE THREE BETHS”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Laurel-Rain! Hope you have a great weekend! :)

      Delete
  2. I read and enjoyed the first two books in this series. I need to catch up. This week I am featuring Lies Sleeping by Ben Aaronovitch - an urban fantasy from my review stack. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard so many great things about the Rivers of London series. Hope you're enjoying this latest addition! Thanks for coming by, Kathy! :)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. It is! Thanks for stopping by, Anne! Have a great weekend! :)

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Awesome! Thanks for visiting, Lark! Hope you have a wonderful weekend! :)

      Delete
  5. I'll have to check this series out further. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a really great series. I always have a lot of fun reading them. Thanks for stopping by, Freda! Happy weekend! :)

      Delete
  6. The beginning has a very intense, ominous tone. Calling it strobe lightning is cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That definitely grabbed my attention and made me want to know what was going on. Thanks for visiting, Roberta! Happy reading! :)

      Delete
  7. Hope it's another good installment in the series for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've really enjoyed it. My only complaint is that I wish it was longer. Thanks for coming by, Nicki! Have a great weekend! :)

      Delete
  8. It reminds me of Knightly & Sons. See what book I'm featuring this week at Girl Who Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not heard of that book before but I'll definitely check into it. Thanks for stopping by, Donna! :)

      Delete