Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Review: The Road to Paradise: A Vintage National Parks Novel by Karen Barnett


Summary

An ideal sanctuary and a dream come true–that’s what Margaret Lane feels as she takes in God’s gorgeous handiwork in Mount Rainier National Park. It’s 1927 and the National Park Service is in its youth when Margie, an avid naturalist, lands a coveted position alongside the park rangers living and working in the unrivaled splendor of Mount Rainier’s long shadow.

But Chief Ranger Ford Brayden is still haunted by his father’s death on the mountain, and the ranger takes his work managing the park and its crowd of visitors seriously. The job of watching over an idealistic senator’s daughter with few practical survival skills seems a waste of resources.

When Margie’s former fiancé sets his mind on developing the Paradise Inn and its surroundings into a tourist playground, the plans might put more than the park’s pristine beauty in danger. What will Margie and Ford sacrifice to preserve the splendor and simplicity of the wilderness they both love?

Karen Barnett’s vintage national parks novels bring to vivid life President Theodore Roosevelt’s vision for protected lands, when he wrote in Outdoor Pastimes of an American Hunter: "There can be nothing in the world more beautiful than the Yosemite, the groves of the giant sequoias and redwoods, the Canyon of the Colorado, the Canyon of the Yellowstone, the Three Tetons; and our people should see to it that they are preserved for their children and their children's children forever, with their majestic beauty all unmarred."


My Review

4.5 Stars

First of all, how gorgeous is that cover? I'm not gonna lie, that's what first caught my attention about this book, but then I read the synopsis and I knew I just had to read it! There's been so much praise about this book and, I've gotta say, it's well warranted.

I loved learning about the early years of the National Park Service. I've never had the pleasure of visiting Mount Rainier National Park before, but I now feel like I have after reading this novel! The vivid descriptions captured my imagination so well that I felt I could perfectly picture the scenery and smell the scents of the forest. The author did such a great job capturing the beauty and essence of Mount Rainier that it felt like another character, not just the background scenery.

I so enjoyed reading about Margie's love of nature, of God's creation. Seeing the world through her eyes was a bright spot in this novel. Her optimism, despite everything, made her incredibly likable. Ford's a bit gruff at times, but I couldn't help liking him. He had so much pressure on him, which left him feeling quite inadequate. It was great watching both characters grow, experience new things, and conquer fears. The bad guy made my skin crawl. He was slimy and left me with an icky feeling whenever he'd show up on the page.

The Road to Paradise is one of those books to savor. I took my time with it, not rushing through it, but enjoying my time with Ford and Margie, enjoying my time in the National Park. I'm definitely looking forward to the next book in this series. I'd recommend this book to fans of historical fiction and lovers of nature.

Favorite Quotes

“God led me to this place, Ranger Brayden. The beauty of His creation speaks of the Father's love. If I can get one person to see God at work in nature, my mission will be complete.”

“As soon as she stepped foot in Longmire, it's forests had wrapped around her like God's comforting arms, hiding her from the world.”

“Don't think because you're not a man you can't do anything you set your mind to do. You spoke truth - a fragile appearance can mask great strength.”


I received a copy of this book from Blogging for Books. All thoughts and comments are my own honest opinion.


To learn more about Karen Barnett, visit her website, Facebook page, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram.

No comments:

Post a Comment