Thursday, July 20, 2017

Review: In His Eyes by Stephenia H. McGee


Summary

Her heart sought shelter. Her soul found home.

Ella Whitaker rescues a newborn from the dying arms of a woman of ill repute and at long last she has someone to love. In need of a wet nurse, she arrives at Belmont Plantation just as Federal soldiers demand to speak to the owner. Thinking quickly, Ella masquerades as a Yankee officer's widow in order to have a roof over her head and a home for the child.

Major Westley Remington has dedicated his life to serving his country. The Civil War has divided his family, torn his thoughts of glory, and left him with a wound that may never heal. Westley returns home on medical furlough to settle his father’s estate at Belmont Plantation, only to find his home is being run by a fiery and independent woman—one many believe to be his wife. Now he is faced with a conflict he’s never been trained to fight, and one she has yet to conquer.


My Review

Five Stars

Oh, how I loved this novel! Civil War era books aren't usually a genre that I gravitate towards, but this year I've been venturing out and trying new things. I am so glad to have read 'In His Eyes'! It's such a gem! It's one of those books that I kept thinking about even when I'd have to set it aside and go do something else. It's one that, I know, will stay with me for a long time. I became completely immersed in the story. The writing was vivid and clear. It felt like I could perfectly picture life in 1865 Mississippi. It, also, brought to light some of the difficulties the south endured.

Ella had endured a lot and felt lacking in many ways, but she had an inner strength and growing faith that was so very admirable. Westley was quite sure of himself before his leg was injured in the war and then he had to reevaluate who he really was. My favorite character, though, was Sibby. She's a tough and strong woman, but so caring with a bit of a mystery surrounding her.

'In His Eyes' completely captivated me. It was the first book I've read by Stephenia H. McGee, but it surely won't be the last! I highly recommend this breathtaking historical romance to everyone!

I voluntarily reviewed a complimentary copy of this book. All thoughts and comments are my own honest opinion.


To learn more about Stephenia H. McGee, visit her website and connect with her on Facebook and Twitter.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for the great review, Ashley!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Review Ashley! I too really enjoyed In His Eyes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Trisha! It was such a great book! I'm really looking forward to reading her other books now! :)

      Delete