Monday, February 4, 2019

Review: Stalking Jack the Ripper by Kerri Maniscalco

About the Book
Presented by James Patterson's new children's imprint, this deliciously creepy horror novel has a storyline inspired by the Ripper murders and an unexpected, blood-chilling conclusion...

Seventeen-year-old Audrey Rose Wadsworth was born a lord's daughter, with a life of wealth and privilege stretched out before her. But between the social teas and silk dress fittings, she leads a forbidden secret life.

Against her stern father's wishes and society's expectations, Audrey often slips away to her uncle's laboratory to study the gruesome practice of forensic medicine. When her work on a string of savagely killed corpses drags Audrey into the investigation of a serial murderer, her search for answers brings her close to her own sheltered world.

The story's shocking twists and turns, augmented with real, sinister period photos, will make this dazzling debut from author Kerri Maniscalco impossible to forget.


My Thoughts

I've been hearing how amazing this book is since it first came out. I thought it was way past time for me to check it out and now I'm kicking myself for waiting so long to read it. It was so good, although it was gruesome at times. I guess that's not too unexpected, though, considering the subject matter.

I really liked the main characters. Audrey Rose was fierce and determined to prove she was more than what society wanted her to be. And Thomas! I probably shouldn't have liked him as much as I did. He's so arrogant which I usually can't stand, but it somehow worked for him. Plus he had an air of Sherlock Holmes about him that just added to his charm.

Even though I figured out the mystery pretty early on, it didn't dampen my enjoyment one bit. Stalking Jack the Ripper was a compelling and unputdownable read. I'm very much looking forward to reading the sequel.

Four Stars

4 comments:

  1. I'm been super curious about this one too! It was a DNF at 10% but I know it was me, not the book. I was not in the mood! You review makes me want to gibe it another try :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had that happen to me too and I get so frustrated with myself, lol. I know it's a good book and everyone else seems to love it, but I just can't get into it.

      Thanks for coming by, Daniela! Happy reading! :)

      Delete
  2. I want to read the book so badly, but they don't have it in the library, and I have already spent my book allowance for a year(((( Glad you liked it as well, as I've heard mixed reviews.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! I'm sorry your library doesn't have it. That's a bummer. Hopefully they'll get it someday soon.

      Thanks for the visit, Julie! Happy reading! :)

      Delete