Thursday, February 14, 2019

Book Beginnings + Friday 56: Snowspelled (The Harwood Spellbook #1) by Stephanie Burgis

Book Beginnings is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader that asks you to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you're reading. Friday 56 is hosted by Freda's Voice and asks you to grab a book (any book), turn to page 56 or 56% in your ereader and share a non-spoilery sentence or two.

This week I'm featuring Snowspelled (The Harwood Spellbook #1) by Stephanie Burgis. I had a really fun time reading this novella.


About the Book
In nineteenth-century Angland, magic is reserved for gentlemen while ladies attend to the more practical business of politics. But Cassandra Harwood has never followed the rules...

Four months ago, Cassandra Harwood was the first woman magician in Angland, and she was betrothed to the brilliant, intense love of her life.

Now Cassandra is trapped in a snowbound house party deep in the elven dales, surrounded by bickering gentleman magicians, manipulative lady politicians, her own interfering family members, and, worst of all, her infuriatingly stubborn ex-fiancĂ©, who refuses to understand that she’s given him up for his own good.

But the greatest danger of all lies outside the manor in the falling snow, where a powerful and malevolent elf-lord lurks...and Cassandra lost all of her own magic four months ago.

To save herself, Cassandra will have to discover exactly what inner powers she still possesses – and risk everything to win a new kind of happiness.

A witty and sparkling romantic fantasy novella that opens a brand-new series from the author of Kat, Incorrigible, Masks and Shadows and Congress of Secrets.

*Volume I of The Harwood Spellbook *


Book Beginning
Of course, a sensible woman would never have accepted the invitation in the first place.

Friday 56
Firing off a series of letters, no matter how passionate, could never be enough to win my case. No, I would need to answer endless prying questions from the newspapers, the politicians and the Great Library alike...and that process had no hope of being completed within the next six days.

What have you been reading lately?

22 comments:

  1. I've read a couple of books by Stephanie Burgis before. I've heard a lot of good things about Snowspelled, and it sounds like a story I would enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the first one I've read of hers. I'm definitely wanting to check out her other books now. Thanks for coming by, Breana! Happy reading! :)

      Delete
  2. I really like Stephanie Burgis' YA books. I think I have this one on my kindle somewhere actually, so I'm glad to hear it's a fun one. :-)

    My Friday memes this week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really want to check out her YA books. They sound so good. Thanks for stopping by, Louise! Happy reading! :)

      Delete
  3. That cover is just so cute and seems perfect for white winter evenings:) Here is my Bookish memes on Friday post https://journeyinbookland.wordpress.com/2019/02/15/book-memes-on-friday-february-15-2019/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the perfect winter read! Thanks for the visit! Happy reading! :)

      Delete
  4. Sounds fascinating, and I love the cover. Enjoy...and here's mine:
    “I INVITED HER IN”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the cover too. It perfectly captures a scene in the book. Thanks for stopping by, Laurel-Rain! Happy reading! :)

      Delete
  5. This is a fun series. I recently read the 2nd book and loved it too. I am spotlighting Broken Homes by Ben Aaronovitch this week. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear you loved the second book too. I've got it preordered and am so ready to read it. Thanks for visiting, Kathy! Happy reading! :)

      Delete
  6. I love the sound of this novella, I really think I'll need to check it out soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a fun one and the kindle version is on sale for $0.99 right now. Thanks for coming by, Jordan! Happy reading! :)

      Delete
  7. I love the cover. It looks like a fun read for a snowy winter day. My Friday quotes come from Life on Mars

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely is! Thanks for stopping by, Anne! Happy reading! :)

      Delete
  8. Love the cover and the snippets! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the visit, Freda! Hope you have a great weekend! :)

      Delete
  9. I'm excited to see that this is the first in a new series. The whole thing sounds like fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm excited there's more to come. I can see so much potential for this series. Thanks for stopping by, Lark! Happy reading! :)

      Delete
  10. It sounds like a fun premise. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is! Thanks for coming by, Nicki! Happy reading! :)

      Delete
  11. I love the sound of this! How could I have not heard of it before?! I am adding it to my wish list. Have a great week, Ashley!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a really fun novella. I'm excited that there's not long to wait for the sequel! Thanks for the visit! Hope you have a great week, too! :)

      Delete