Friday, November 3, 2017

Book Beginnings + Friday 56: Reign of Error (The Worst Detective Ever #2) by Christy Barritt

Book Beginnings is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader that asks you to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you're reading. Friday 56 is hosted by Freda's Voice and asks you to grab a book (any book), turn to page 56 or 56% in your ereader and share a non-spoilery sentence or two.

This week I'm featuring Reign of Error (The Worst Detective Ever #2) by Christy Barritt. I just finished this book and will have my review up for it Monday. Even though it's book two in the series, I believe it can stand alone just fine.


Book Beginning

"I don't want to do this." I rubbed my goosebump-freckled arms. I was freezing, and I hadn't even gone in the ocean yet. Still, the churning water in the distance taunted me, as if it knew the pain I was about to endure and delighted in my future suffering.

Friday 56 (56% on my Kindle)

Maybe you should kick this investigation up a notch. Don't make us spell everything out for you. Watch Episode 210. Signed, Your biggest fans.

About the Book

Sometimes in life, you just want to yell “Take two!”

When a Polar Plunge goes terribly wrong and someone dies in the icy water, former TV detective Joey Darling wants nothing to do with subsequent investigation. But when her picture is found in the dead man’s wallet and witnesses place her as the last person seen with the man, she realizes she’s been cast in a role she never wanted: suspect.

Joey makes the dramatic mistake of challenging the killer on camera, and now it’s a race to find the bad guy before he finds her. Danger abounds and suspects are harder to find than the Lost Colony of Roanoke Island. But when Joey finds a connection with this case and the disappearance of her father, she knows there’s no backing out.

As hard as Joey tries to be like her super detective alter ego, the more things go wrong. Will Joey figure this one out? Or will her reign of error continue?

What have you been reading lately? Leave a comment below and let me know.


18 comments:

  1. The cover just cracks me up! Is the book a farce? Ha! My Friday Quotes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This book is a really good combination of laugh-out-loud moments and intense suspense. It's so much fun! Thanks for stopping by, Anne! :)

      Delete
  2. HI Ashely!

    I love the whole 'voice' of this book! Not something I would normally pick up, but you've enticed me to look into this.... :)

    Here's mine: http://bit.ly/2zuJVwk Emma in the Night.

    Luv Sass x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sassy! I had such a great time reading this book! Joey's a hilarious character. Thanks for visiting! :)

      Delete
  3. This sounds really fun! I love the sound of the main character - that she's a TV detective. Hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joey's a great character. It's fun watching her stumble her way around clues. Thanks for coming by, Katherine! :)

      Delete
  4. Just by looking at the cover it seems like a fun read.
    sherry @ fundinmental Friday Memes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The covers for this series are so great! Thanks for stopping by, Sherry! :)

      Delete
  5. Just the image of that icy water makes me shiver! Sounds like a book I wouldn't be able to put down.

    Here's mine: “COLD AS ICE”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely a book that is hard to put down. Thanks for visiting, Laurel-Rain! :)

      Delete
  6. This does sound like fun. I'm adding it to my wishlist. This week I am featuring Unholy City by Carrie Smith. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a fun read, Kathy! There were times I was laughing and then on the edge of my seat. So good! Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  7. Looks like a fun read! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay the title of this series cracked me up so much! I had to go look up the series and it sounds hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm almost finished with book three and it's so good! There's so many laugh-out-loud moments, but also quite a bit of high stakes suspense, too.... The perfect combination! Thanks for visiting, Verushka! :)

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. It's so good! Thanks for coming by, Lauren! Have a great week! :)

      Delete