Thursday, January 18, 2024

Book Beginnings, First Line Friday, & Friday 56: Behind the Curtain (The Worlds Behind #4) by W.R. Gingell

Book Beginnings is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader that asks you to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you're reading. I'm also linking up with Carrie at Reading is My Superpower for First Line Friday. Friday 56 is hosted by Freda's Voice and asks you to grab a book (any book), turn to page 56 or 56% in your ereader and share a non-spoilery sentence or two. Freda is taking a hiatus right now, but Anne over at My Head is Full of Books has taken over until Freda returns.

This week I'm featuring Behind the Curtain (The Worlds Behind #4) by W.R. Gingell. This is such a fun and weird series. I love it! 

About the Book
The world Between is full of dangers, shadows, and reflections. Athelas knows the dangers, is one with the shadows—and has finally encountered a reflection that could be just a bit too much like himself for comfort.

The house master has come back. Nobody will quite say who he is, or why he owns the house. And to Athelas’ growing irritation, no one will talk about the oddly powerful influence the house master seems to have over Camellia.

YeoWoo knows exactly who and what the house master is—and she knows exactly how much danger Camellia is in. The question she can’t quite seem to answer is: How much safer is it to put Camellia into Athelas’ power than to leave her in the house master’s power?

There are nightmares skulking in the corners. Pieces of curse lingering beneath the couch. And soon Camellia will have to make a choice between two evils.

To add insult to injury, the teapot has gone missing…

Book Beginnings / First Line Friday
"Ex-husband," Camellia said.
To YeoWoo, her voice sounded as though it contained great weariness. She was speaking, however, and that was a very big improvement upon the until-now silent and ashy presence she had been.

Friday 56
"We need to get him out of the house," YeoWoo said, rather mulishly. She was aware that she was repeating herself, and that she had been doing so for the last few days; she resented Athelas for making her do so. "We can't do anything to him until we get him out of the house."

What have you been reading lately?

16 comments:

  1. The quotes are a bit confusing. I hope that the book levels out for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm intrigued by the quotes enough to wonder what the context is. Glad you enjoy the series so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of a house master so I'm curious where this story is going!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't heard of one either, so I was curious too. :)

      Delete
  4. I am curious about this one. Thanks for sharing, and here's mine: BOOKISH FRIDAY

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds a bit intriguing. You can see my post here Have a great weekend 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jody! Hope you've had a great weekend! :)

      Delete
  6. I've been wanting to read this series! I hope you have a great weekend, Ashley.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so good! And weird, but I love weird, so it's right up my alley, lol! Happy reading! :)

      Delete
  7. Sounds like an exciting one! Hope you had a good weekend, Ashley. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lark! I hope you have a good week! :D

      Delete
  8. A very unique cover! I hope you enjoy it. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cindy! It was a fun one! Hope you have a great week too! :)

      Delete