Thursday, March 25, 2021

Book Beginnings + Friday 56: The Lady in Residence by Allison Pittman

Book Beginnings is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader that asks you to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you're reading. Friday 56 is hosted by Freda's Voice and asks you to grab a book (any book), turn to page 56 or 56% in your ereader and share a non-spoilery sentence or two.

This week I'm featuring The Lady in Residence by Allison Pittman, a dual timeline that I thoroughly enjoyed. It was such a riveting read.

About the Book
Can a Legacy of Sadness be Broken at the Menger Hotel?

Visit historic American landmarks through the Doors to the Past series. History and today collide in stories full of mystery, intrigue, faith, and romance.

Young widow Hedda Krause checks into the Menger Hotel in 1915 with a trunk full of dresses, a case full of jewels, and enough cash to pay for a two-month stay, which she hopes will be long enough to meet, charm, and attach herself to a new, rich husband. Her plans are derailed when a ghostly apparition lures her into a long, dark hallway, and Hedda returns to her room to find her precious jewelry has been stolen. She falls immediately under a cloud of suspicion with her haunting tale, but true ghost enthusiasts bring her expensive pieces of jewelry in an attempt to lure the ghost to appear again.

In 2017, Dini Blackstone is a fifth-generation magician, who performs at private parties, but she also gives ghost walk tours, narrating the more tragic historical events of San Antonio with familial affection. Above all, her favorite is the tale of Hedda Krause who, in Dini’s estimation, succeeded in perpetrating the world’s longest con, dying old and wealthy from her ghost story. But then Dini meets Quinn Carmichael, great-great-grandson of the detective who originally investigated Hedda’s case, who’s come to the Alamo City with a box full of clues that might lead to Hedda’s exoneration. Can Dini see another side of the story that is worthy of God’s grace?

Book Beginnings
The tour ended where it began - in the courtyard of the Alamo, the fortress bathed in white lights, flags snapping in the night sky. Standing still after the nearly four-mile walk, Dini Blackstone felt the chill. The Victorian-esque costume she wore to lead the two-hour walking Alamo Haunting Spirits Ghost Tour of downtown San Antonio gave little warmth.

Friday 56
"Your story about going to Paragon Treasures, I'm afraid, isn't going to do your case any good." He opened his notebook and proceeded to read off a list of names, looking up as he finished. "No record of you, Mrs. Krause."

What have you been reading lately?

18 comments:

  1. This is in my TBR - to read soon pile. Here is my post https://moretoodiscover.blogspot.com/2021/03/book-spotlight-fridays-facing-dawn.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh this sounds like a fun read! I love the combination of the two stories of Dini and Hedda! I'm glad you enjoyed it as well, I'll definitely add it to my list! I hope you have a lovely week and do drop by my Friday post if you have the time! - Juli @ A Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always so fun seeing how the two timelines relate to each other. :)

      Delete
  3. I enjoy dual time lines, so this one is calling to me. Thanks for sharing, and here's mine: “EVERY VOW YOU BREAK”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is one of the best dual timelines I've read. :)

      Delete
  4. I hope you really enjoy this one! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can see why you liked this one...that combination of a ghost in the past and a magician in the present makes for an interesting premise. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so interesting! And the mystery surrounding the "ghost"? I couldn't read it fast enough. :)

      Delete
  6. I'm intrigued! I don't usually like ghost stories, but that little tease about another side of the story and God's grace has me wanting to read more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so great discovering what was really going on. :)

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. I do too. If there's even just a little bit of mystery, it makes my interest go up. :)

      Delete
  8. Glad you enjoyed it. The Island of the Sea Women that I read last week had a twisty dual timeline. Adds a lot to the story when done well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. When done well, dual timelines are fantastic and end up being some of my favorite reads. :)

      Delete
  9. That sounds pretty tempting! Thanks for sharing!

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete