Monday, March 22, 2021

Review: Soulless (Parasol Protectorate #1) by Gail Carriger

About the Book
Alexia Tarabotti is laboring under a great many social tribulations. First, she has no soul. Second, she's a spinster whose father is both Italian and dead. Third, she was rudely attacked by a vampire, breaking all standards of social etiquette.

Where to go from there? From bad to worse apparently, for Alexia accidentally kills the vampire -- and then the appalling Lord Maccon (loud, messy, gorgeous, and werewolf) is sent by Queen Victoria to investigate.

With unexpected vampires appearing and expected vampires disappearing, everyone seems to believe Alexia responsible. Can she figure out what is actually happening to London's high society? Will her soulless ability to negate supernatural powers prove useful or just plain embarrassing? Finally, who is the real enemy, and do they have treacle tart?


My Thoughts

Soulless had been languishing on my TBR list for way too long and I'm so glad I finally read it. It was so much fun!

The world building was great. I love a steampunk setting and when you add supernatural elements, I'm even more stoked. Here we have vampires, werewolves and ghosts. They're not hiding in the shadows, but are very much known to the public and are a vital part of society. The vampires in this book are very interesting and rather different from what I'd previously read. They group together in “hives” and have a somewhat bee-like structure to their society. It's all very intriguing. The werewolves and ghosts were pretty much what I expected them to be though.

Alexia was a hilarious and all-round fun heroine to read about. She always had a perfectly-timed witty or sarcastic comment for everything. Her and Lord Maccon were perfect for each other. Their banter was entertaining and their chemistry was off the charts! And I can't forget to mention Lord Akeldama. My favorite character, he definitely stole the scene every time he showed up.

I'm very eager to check out book two to see what happens next.

NOTE: This is not a clean read. It does contain some extra steamy scenes.

Four Stars

4 comments:

  1. I loved this one and enjoyed several of the follow ups! So much fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed the follow ups. I'm excited to check them out. :)

      Delete
  2. Alexia is so funny! This book totally made me laugh. I love both her and Lord Maccon. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I desperately needed the laughs in this book. I had such a good time reading it. Alexia and Lord Maccon are such awesome characters. :)

      Delete