Thursday, October 22, 2020

Review: In an Absent Dream (Wayward Children #4) by Seanan McGuire


About the Book

This fourth entry and prequel tells the story of Lundy, a very serious young girl who would rather study and dream than become a respectable housewife and live up to the expectations of the world around her. As well she should.

When she finds a doorway to a world founded on logic and reason, riddles and lies, she thinks she's found her paradise. Alas, everything costs at the goblin market, and when her time there is drawing to a close, she makes the kind of bargain that never plays out well.



My Thoughts

I really enjoyed In an Absent Dream. I think it might be my favorite one of the series. There's just something about Seanan McGuire's writing style that pulls me straight into the story and tugs at my heartstrings.

This story was haunting, atmospheric, and, like the previous books, a touch bittersweet. Lundy's “world”, the goblin market, was such an interesting place. A place where everything must be fair and the rules are the rules, no exceptions are made for breaking them.

I'm pretty sure this book works as a standalone, but I'd still recommend reading at least the first one before picking this one up.

What an enchanting adventure! I'm excited for more in this series.

4.5 Stars

2 comments:

  1. This one sounds so good, I'm tempted to read it first. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great series. You can't go wrong either way. :D

      Delete