Thursday, October 15, 2020

Book Beginnings + Friday 56: In an Absent Dream (Wayward Children #4) by Seanan McGuire

Book Beginnings is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader that asks you to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you're reading. Friday 56 is hosted by Freda's Voice and asks you to grab a book (any book), turn to page 56 or 56% in your ereader and share a non-spoilery sentence or two.

This week I'm featuring In an Absent Dream (Wayward Children #4) by Seanan McGuire. I finally got around to reading this one and really enjoyed it! It was nice getting Lundy's story.

About the Book
This fourth entry and prequel tells the story of Lundy, a very serious young girl who would rather study and dream than become a respectable housewife and live up to the expectations of the world around her. As well she should.

When she finds a doorway to a world founded on logic and reason, riddles and lies, she thinks she's found her paradise. Alas, everything costs at the goblin market, and when her time there is drawing to a close, she makes the kind of bargain that never plays out well.

Book Beginnings
In a house, on a street, in a town ordinary enough in every aspect to cross over it's own roots and become remarkable, there lived a girl named Katherine Victoria Lundy.

Friday 56
"This is my home, and you are safe here, for now," said the Archivist, in a calm, clear voice. "Do you know your name?"

What have you been reading lately?

20 comments:

  1. That cover! And what an interesting premise. I will definitely look into this.

    Glad you are enjoying it so much!

    Happy weekend and here's my Weekend Book Friends #11

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't seem to get enough Seanan McGuire, lol. Thanks for stopping by! Happy weekend! :)

      Delete
  2. In An Absent Dream is one of my favorite books by Seanan McGuire. It was really great to finally find out Lundy's story, since it was only mentioned in the previous books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved learning Lundy's backstory. It was so interesting. Thanks for coming by! Have a great weekend! :)

      Delete
  3. Oooh, I loved this one! Lundy's story was so fun, and she was such an easy character to connect with. :3 Have you read Come Tumbling Down yet? That's my new favorite of the series. :D

    Here's my Friday post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't yet, but now you've got me even more anxious to pick up a copy. Thanks for visiting! Have an awesome weekend! :)

      Delete
  4. I like a character that would rather study and dream instead of doing what is expected...so I am drawn into this one. Thanks for sharing, and here's mine: “ALL THE BEST LIES”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love character like that too. They always end up being some of my favorites. Thanks for coming by! Have a great weekend! :)

      Delete
  5. I've been told by a few to read this author's books. Must be decent if you're on book 4. :-) Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her books are awesome. The October Daye and Incryptid series are my favorites of hers, but this one's been great too. Thanks for visiting! Happy weekend! :)

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. I do too! I love McGuire's writing style. Thanks for stopping by! Hope you have a wonderful weekend! :)

      Delete
  7. Sounds like Lundy was the perfect choice to explore character backstory. Now, why does the Archivist ask if she knows her name?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't want to say too much, but names are very important in the Goblin Market. Thanks for coming by! Happy weekend! :)

      Delete
  8. I like and am intrigued by the quotes! I am not much for audio books, but I recently listened to Rosemary and Rue by Maguire and enjoyed it, now you've interested me in Wayward Children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not much of an audiobook listener either, but I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed Rosemary and Rue. That's probably my all-time favorite McGuire book. Thanks for visiting! Hope you have an awesome weekend! :)

      Delete
  9. Sounds like an interesting series. I don't think I've heard of it before. Thanks for sharing and enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Becki! Hope you enjoy your week too! :)

      Delete
  10. It sounds interesting! I'm reading The Old Curiosity Shop by Chalres Dickens and hope to finish it in a few days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice! I hope you enjoy it! Thanks for coming by, Gillion! :)

      Delete