Monday, December 31, 2018

Review: Catching Christmas by Terri Blackstock

About the Book
This Year, Christmas Comes Just in Time


As a first-year law associate, Sydney Batson knows she will be updating her resume by New Year’s if she loses her current case. So when her grandmother gets inexplicably ill while she’s in court, Sydney arranges for a cab to get her to the clinic.

The last thing cab driver Finn Parrish wants is to be saddled with a wheelchair-bound old lady with dementia. But because Miss Callie reminds him of his own mother, whom he failed miserably in her last days, he can’t say no when she keeps calling him for rides. Once a successful gourmet chef, Finn’s biggest concern now is paying his rent, but half the time Callie doesn’t remember to pay him. And as she starts to feel better, she leads him on wild-goose chases to find a Christmas date for her granddaughter.

When Finn meets Sydney, he’s quite sure she’s never needed help finding a date. Does Miss Callie have an ulterior motive, or is this just a mission driven by delusions? He’s willing to do whatever he can to help fulfill Callie’s Christmas wish. He just never expected to be a vital part of it.


My Thoughts

Catching Christmas was a heartwarming story. It was so cute and funny with many laugh out loud moments, but also very poignant and emotional, even heartbreaking at times. I laughed and I cried. Seriously, there were so many emotions!

Finn was a bit of a Scrooge and his attitude in the first half grated on my nerves occasionally. I mean, I could totally understand his frustration, but it still annoyed me. He did have a good heart though, just a bad attitude. And he did grow on me eventually. And I have to mention how much I adored Miss Callie. She was such a wonderful lady.

I want to say so much more about this book, but I'm afraid it'd all be spoilers and I don't want to ruin anything about this book for anyone. I'll just leave with saying that this was a great story that really showcased the true meaning of Christmas.

3.5 Stars

6 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed this book Ashley! And CONGRATS you are the winner of "It’s a Wrap! Best SFF and Fantasy I read in 2018!" since Year One was the best SFF I read! Please email (or DM me in GR, Twitter or Instagram) what prize you’d like. Happy New Year Ashley!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry I was borrowing someone else's computer! The comment above is mine :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This does sound like a fun Christmas read. It'd probably make a good Hallmark movie, too. I'll have to keep it in mind for next year. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kept thinking all the way through the book about how awesome it'd be if this was made into a Hallmark movie. It'd be perfect! Thanks for coming by, Lark! Happy New Year! :)

      Delete