Thursday, November 25, 2021

Book Beginnings + Friday 56: Woman in Shadow by Carrie Stuart Parks

Book Beginnings is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader that asks you to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you're reading. Friday 56 is hosted by Freda's Voice and asks you to grab a book (any book), turn to page 56 or 56% in your ereader and share a non-spoilery sentence or two.

This week I'm featuring Woman in Shadow by Carrie Stuart Parks. It's really good! I can't believe it's my first book by this author. I guess better late than never, though, lol.

About the Book
A woman off the grid.

Darby Graham thinks she's on a much-needed vacation in remote Idaho to relax. But before she even arrives at the ranch, an earthquake strikes—her first clue that something is amiss. Then when a cabin on the edge of town is engulfed in flames and problems at the ranch escalate, Darby finds herself immersed in a chilling mystery.

A town on fire.

A serial arsonist sends taunting letters to the press after each fire. As a forensic linguist, this is Darby’s area of expertise . . . but the scars it’s caused her also the reason she’s trying to escape from her life.

A growing darkness.

As the shadows continue to move in, the pieces of the town around her come into sharper focus. Can she trust the one man who sees her clearly?

Book Beginnings
Targhee Falls, Idaho
"Why are those dogs barking?" I pointed across the wooden picnic table toward the two obviously upset canines yelping nearby.

Friday 56
After jamming the chair under the door, I moved around the room, closing the wooden shutters against the encroaching darkness. I felt less exposed, but not any safer.

What have you been reading lately?

10 comments:

  1. Ha, this sounds like the perfect weekend read. I wonder what the mystery is?

    I am reading The Automobile Assassination and it's also quite good.

    Have a good weekend Ashley!

    Elza Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed this one. I was so invested in figuring out what was really going on. Thank for coming by! Hope you have a great weekend! :)

      Delete
  2. I loved this book, I listened to it on audio and it was done well. Happy reading! https://cindysbookcorner.blogspot.com/2021/11/first-line-friday-27-memory-quilt.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad to hear you enjoyed this one too! I'm eager to read more from this author. Thanks for coming by! Happy reading! :)

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a good read!! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved it! Thanks for visiting! Happy weekend! :)

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. It was a good one! Thanks for stopping by! Have a great weekend! :)

      Delete
  5. I really want to read this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so good! Thanks for coming by, Lark! Hope you have a wonderful week! :)

      Delete