Monday, March 23, 2020

Short Story Review Roundup #1


I've read a few short stories lately and thought I'd share my thoughts on three of them with you today. I don't know if I'll make this a regular feature on the blog, but it's something that might make an appearance every now and then.


Ark by Veronica Roth - 3.5 STARS

Ark by Veronica Roth chronicles the last couple months before the world ends through the eyes of Samantha as she catalogs plant samples. At first this felt like a random collection of disjointed events in Samantha's life, but then when I started thinking about it as a sneak peek, a small snapshot into her past and present, I began to enjoy it a lot more. It was an interesting concept, a poignant read, that I wouldn't mind seeing fleshed out into a full series. It's short, for sure, but enjoyable.






In Lantern Beach for their honeymoon, Grayson finds out that his new wife just might be a murderer. The Rachel he knows would never be capable of murder, but apparently there's secrets she doesn't want shared. As an investigative reporter, he vows to get to the bottom of it all and find out the truth about his wife.

Afterglow is another compelling and impossible to put down story from Christy Barritt. It completely held my attention and even after finishing it, I'm still thinking about it. I can't forget to mention the cameos from a couple of original Lantern Beach characters. Loved seeing them pop up.





Lady Cordelia Beaumont wakes up in an unfamiliar world and is told she's about to die. Shocked to say the least, Cordelia tries to figure out what's going on, but everything's different. Nothing makes sense. There's some similarities to her world, but nothing's right. Her magic is gone, her friend has no idea who she is, and places have different names. (London? What kind of name is that? Come on, it's called Talesend, duh!)

I was wanting a quick and fun read and this story fit the bill perfectly. It was great. An action packed race to find the truth and save Lady Cordelia from dying. It was clever and unique. And the Neverwolves were terrifying creatures. I'm very much looking forward to reading more in this series.


*At the time of posting, all of these stories are available in Kindle Unlimited.

No comments:

Post a Comment