Thursday, February 13, 2020

Book Beginnings + Friday 56: The Tea Chest by Heidi Chiavaroli

Book Beginnings is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader that asks you to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you're reading. Friday 56 is hosted by Freda's Voice and asks you to grab a book (any book), turn to page 56 or 56% in your ereader and share a non-spoilery sentence or two.

This week I'm featuring The Tea Chest by Heidi Chiavaroli. I can't say enough good things about it. It's so, so good! 

About the Book
Boston, 1773
Emma Malcolm’s father is staunchly loyal to the crown, but Emma’s heart belongs to Noah Winslow, a lowly printer’s assistant and Patriot. But her father has promised her hand to Samuel Clarke, a rapacious and sadistic man. As his fiancรฉe, she would have to give up Noah and the friends who have become like family to her—as well as the beliefs she has come to embrace.

After Emma is drawn into the treasonous Boston Tea Party, Samuel blackmails her with evidence that condemns each participant, including Noah. Emma realizes she must do whatever it takes to protect those she loves, even if it means giving up the life she desires and becoming Samuel’s wife.

Present Day
Lieutenant Hayley Ashworth is determined to be the first woman inducted into the elite Navy SEALs. But before her dream can be realized, she must return to Boston in order to put the abuse and neglect of her childhood behind her. When an unexpected encounter with the man she once loved leads to the discovery of a tea chest and the document hidden within, she wonders if perhaps true strength and freedom are buried deeper than she first realized.

Two women, separated by centuries, must find the strength to fight for love and freedom. . . and discover a heritage of courage and faith.
 

Book Beginning
Naval Special Warfare Center
Coronado, California

The bell was beautiful.

Friday 56
The call to arms came in the dark of night before dawn on the nineteenth of April. A rider came barreling through our streets, shouting.

Hosted by Billy @ Coffee Addicted Writer

Which genre do you like the most?

I read, and like, all kinds of different genres, so it's hard to say which one I like the most (especially since I'm such a mood reader). But the one I always go back to, and can never seem to get enough of, is Urban Fantasy. There's just something that's so fun about it.

What have you been reading lately?

26 comments:

  1. The Tea Chest seems interesting. I like the quotes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Breana! Have a great weekend! :)

      Delete
  2. I like a lot of Historical Fiction but "sadistic man" was a turn off for me. Otherwise it sounded good.
    Lisa @
    https://hopewellslibraryoflife.wordpress.com/2020/02/14/the-friday-56/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming by, Lisa! Have a wonderful weekend! :)

      Delete
  3. I love that cover!!! Sounds like it might be a good read too! Happy Valentine's weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting, Freda! Happy Valentine's weekend to you too! :)

      Delete
  4. Great snippets. Thanks for sharing, and here's mine: “THE JANES”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Laurel-Rain! Have an awesome weekend! :)

      Delete
  5. The Tea Chest sounds like a really good read. Emma an Hayley both sound like great characters. I feel for Emma and her situation and I am already rooting for Hayley. I am glad you are enjoying it so far!

    I tend to be a mood reader too, and like to read a variety of genres. I think that's why I couldn't narrow it down to one genre. Urban fantasy is definitely one of my favorites too, though.

    I hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emma and Hayley were great characters. I was sad when I reached the end because I just wanted to keep reading about them. Thanks for stopping by! Hope you have an awesome weekend! :)

      Delete
  6. Urban fantasy is one of my favorite genres, too, but I like to read too many different kinds of books to pick just one favorite type. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so difficult narrowing it down, lol. Thanks for visiting, Lark! Have a great weekend! :)

      Delete
  7. I need to read more Urban Fantasy! :) Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a fun genre. Thanks for the visit, Erica! Have a wonderful weekend! :)

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. I did! It was awesome! Thanks for stopping by, Nicki! Have a lovely weekend! :)

      Delete
  9. I love the cover for The Tea Chest!

    Urban Fantasy is also my favourite genre! It's a tough question but when I think back on what I've been reading most, what I've been enjoying most, it was actually a simple answer. :)

    My Book Blogger Hop

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so hard narrowing it down. But I've been reading more UF this year and am eager to read even more, so that's why I picked it. It's such a fun genre. Thanks for coming by, Nicci! Have an awesome weekend! :)

      Delete
  10. I read fantasies and mysteries/thrillers. I'm quite picky about what I read.

    Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love those genres too! Thanks for stopping by Laura! Hope you have a nice weekend too! :)

      Delete
  11. The cover doesn't really incorporate the modern character? I would have taken it to be strictly historical fiction at first. The Coronado Island setting is such a cool place, tho. Sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was just a historical when I first saw it. Then I read about it and was super intrigued by the dual timeline. Thanks for visiting, Roberta! Have a great week! :)

      Delete
  12. This week's BBH question was an easy one for me to answer: I don't read as many genres as you, Ashley. Considering my blog is packed with reviews for paranormal romance and urban fantasy books, I don’t think it’ll come as a surprise that my ๐Ÿ’œ favourite ๐Ÿ’œ reading genre is adult PARANORMAL ROMANCE! ๐Ÿ˜˜
    I hope you enjoy the rest of your weekend, Ashley. Here's my BBH Post
    Flora x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paranormal romance is such a fun genre. I don't read as much of it as I used to, but I still enjoy it quite a bit. Thanks for coming by, Flora! Hope you have a wonderful week! :)

      Delete
  13. Replies
    1. It's so good! Thanks for stopping by! Hope you have a lovely week! :)

      Delete