Friday, February 9, 2018

Book Beginnings + Friday 56: The Myth Manifestation (SPI Files #5) by Lisa Shearin

Book Beginnings is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader that asks you to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you're reading. Friday 56 is hosted by Freda's Voice and asks you to grab a book (any book), turn to page 56 or 56% in your ereader and share a non-spoilery sentence or two.

This week I'm featuring The Myth Manifestation (SPI Files #5) by Lisa Shearin. The SPI Files is such a fun urban fantasy series, so I was super excited when the latest installment was released. It was SO good! I should have my review for it up tomorrow.


Book Beginning

I poked at the gelatinous mass.

"It's not going to attack you," my partner assured me.

"Are you sure?" I poked it again. "What is it?"

Friday 56 (56% on my Kindle)

I tried to swallow the lump in my throat. "So [Spoiler]'s gonna be okay?"

About the Book

The agents of Supernatural Protection & Investigations (SPI) protect people from predatory supernaturals. This time, we’re the ones who need protection.

New York is one of the most popular convention destinations in the world—for humans and supernaturals. Every hundred years, rulers of the world’s supernatural races come together to negotiate and renew a peace treaty. Meeting in the same hotel are the governors of our world’s goblin and elf colonies. SPI is saddled with the security nightmare of keeping the living delegates alive and the undead delegates from becoming permanently deceased. We’ve got our work cut out for us.

I’m Makenna Fraser, seer for SPI. Our security nightmare becomes real when monsters from the delegates’ mythologies begin mysteriously appearing in the flesh to hunt delegates from every side of the debate. And when the hotel gets sucked into another dimension, there’s no escape.

We discover that we’re all pieces in an elaborate and deadly game. A game about to spill out into the real world. Failing to escape is game over and not an option. We have to save the world—but first, we have to save ourselves.
 

 What have you been reading lately?

18 comments:

  1. Now I want to know who "Spoiler" is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's quite intense what happens to "spoiler". Thanks for stopping by, Breana! :)

      Delete
  2. Okay this sounds fun! I haven't read anything like this before but I love the teasers and the blurb. And I want to know if whoever that is will be okay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is such a fun, quirky, and action-packed series. SO good! Thanks for visiting, Katherine! :)

      Delete
  3. I've read the first two books in this series and keep meaning to continue on. It is a fun urban fantasy series. This week I have The Philosopher's Flight by Tom Miller. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so much fun! Thanks for coming by, Kathy! :)

      Delete
  4. I've not read these, but I do love the cover and I'm adding it to my Goodreads shelf! Sounds great, thanks for sharing!

    Here is mine: http://bit.ly/2nLo2BK

    Have a lovely weekend, Ashley!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The covers for this series are great! Thanks for visiting, Sassy! :)

      Delete
  5. It has been a while since I read any urban fantasy...this one sounds intense and exciting. Thanks for sharing, and here's mine: “THE PERFECT ROOMMATE”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urban Fantasy's my favorite genre but I haven't been reading as much of it lately. It was so nice to get back into it. Thanks for coming by! Happy reading! :)

      Delete
  6. Sounds very intriguing!! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Freda! Have a great weekend! :)

      Delete
  7. I definitely want to read this one. And just look at that splendid cover art!

    My Friday 56 from The Asylum For Wayward Victorian Girls

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that cover so much! It's so great! Thanks for visiting, Laura! :)

      Delete
  8. Yeah, this sounds awesome! Looking forward to your review, Ashley :)
    Have a great weekend!
    Jo-Ann at Inspiration Pie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's SO good! Thanks for coming by, Jo-Ann! Happy reading! :)

      Delete
  9. That looks awesome - I'm going to have to look into this series. :)

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such an awesome series! Thanks for stopping by, Lauren! Happy reading! :)

      Delete