Thursday, June 3, 2021

Book Beginnings + Friday 56: Amanda (Sewing in SoCal #4) by Sarah Monzon

Book Beginnings is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader that asks you to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you're reading. Friday 56 is hosted by Freda's Voice and asks you to grab a book (any book), turn to page 56 or 56% in your ereader and share a non-spoilery sentence or two.

This week I'm featuring Amanda: A Sweet Romantic Comedy (Sewing in SoCal #4) by Sarah Monzon. It's got a lot of laughs, but it also deals with a serious subject that I can relate to. I really appreciated the author shining a light on invisible illness in such an authentic way.

About the Book
“The devil made me do it” is a phrase that will never pass my lips. Why would it when I have Delores, my undiagnosed autoimmune disorder, to make all my decisions for me? (Yes, I named her myself since the doctors couldn’t do it for me.) A get together with friends? Delores says no. I’ll have my prescheduled daily afternoon fever and fatigue at that time.

My two biggest regrets with having Delores direct my fate? One, my family thinks my illness is all in my head. And two, I set the love of my life, Peter Reynolds, free from my anchoring tether so he could fly. I never thought I’d see him again, but five years later he’s soaring in the limelight as one of the most talked-about defensive players in professional football. Oh, and did I mention he also happens to play for the team my boss just assigned me to as a social media manager?

Meanwhile, nothing much has changed for me. Delores still bosses me around, and I’m still hopelessly in love with Peter. What’s a girl to do?

Book Beginnings
Whoever said "It's better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all" was the biggest liar in Earth's history.

Friday 56
"Something wrong?" Besides this. Him. Me. Together. If the robot from Lost in Space were here, he'd be rolling around with his robotic arms flailing repeating Danger! over and over again.

What have you been reading lately?

8 comments:

  1. The main character sounds sweet and spunky. You have to root for someone who named her autoimmune disorder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? I loved that about her. Thanks for stopping by! Have a great weekend! :)

      Delete
  2. Ooh I love the voice of the main character as well, she's so upbeat and sassy while dealing with Delores! It's great to see this kind of representation and I'm glad this book gave you both recognition and laughs! I hope you have a lovely start to the weekend and do drop by my Friday post if you have the time! - Juli @ A Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was such a fun character to read about! I love a story that can shine a light on an important issue, yet make you laugh at the same time. Thanks for coming by! Hope you have a great weekend! :)

      Delete
  3. Love that cover and the excerpts. Thanks for sharing, and here's mine: “HOME FIRES”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting! Hope you have a lovely weekend! :)

      Delete
  4. Having watched Lost In Space, that 56 made me giggle. :-) Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been watching the new version of Lost in Space, so this quote had me cracking up. Thanks for coming by! Happy weekend! :)

      Delete