Friday, September 18, 2026

Friday Book Snippets: The Story Between Us (The Maple Lake Collection | Falling for Flannel Book 1) by Susan May Warren & Sarah May Warren



Friday Book Snippets is a weekly blogging event co-hosted by Anne@HeadFullofBooks and Olivia at Bemused and Bookish. Directions: Share two snippets (a sentence or short paragraph) from a. the book's beginning and b. page 56 (or another page) in the book you are currently reading. No spoilers, please.

This week I'm featuring The Story Between Us (The Maple Lake Collection | Falling for Flannel Book 1) by mother-daughter writing duo, Susan May Warren & Sarah May Warren

SYNOPSIS
Best friend’s older brother. The almost-kiss summer. And one bestselling manuscript that’s years overdue.

Livvie Fox has spent six years being too nice for New York publishing—bringing cupcakes to the man who stole her promotion, watching senior agents take credit for the books she fought for, smiling while the bestseller list ticks past her name and lands on someone else’s.

Then her agency drops the bomb: bestselling reclusive author Ian Rivers is two years past deadline. The contract is about to die. The agency is about to die with it. Someone has to get him to write.

Someone like the woman who knew him before he was Ian Rivers.

Before the bestsellers. Before the funeral. Before the night on a Maple Lake dock when she told him exactly how she felt and he just stood there, frozen, while every star in northern Minnesota watched her heart break.

Nate Rivers shouldn’t open his door.

Not for the publisher. Not for the lawyer. Not for the woman who walked off his sister’s dock seven years ago and took half the world with her.

But Livvie Fox is back in Maple Lake. With stolen soup. With his sister’s name in her mouth. With a publisher’s deadline that could cost him the only house left where Emma still feels real.

The town is gearing up for the Flannel Festival. The maples are turning. The dogs already love her. And the chapter Nate has been refusing to write for three years is suddenly demanding a co-author.

Some what-ifs deserve a second chapter.

Book Beginning / First Line
The barista had spelled her name wrong again.

Snippet from 28%
He held her gaze for one beat longer than comfortable. "Not everything you make has to be good, Livvie. Some things you make just because you need to make them."

What have you been reading lately?

16 comments:

  1. As a creative person, I really like the second one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked that quote too. Thanks for coming by, Cat! Have a great week! :D

      Delete
  2. The first line allows the reader to immediately identify with her. The second snippet just feels true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same way. Thanks for stopping by, Olivia! Hope you have a great week! :D

      Delete
  3. I like the sound of this book. The character of Livvie Fox seems true to life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was so relatable! Thanks for coming by! Hope you have a wonderful week! :D

      Delete
  4. I really like the sound of this one! In fact, there's a giveaway on Goodreads for this one that I just entered. Fingers crossed! ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I hope you win it! I think you'll really like this book, Lark. Thanks for stopping by! Hope you have a wonderful week! :D

      Delete
  5. Oh, now I want to read this one. This sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved it! I think it's one of my favorites I've read this year. Thanks for coming by, Mary! Hope you have an awesome week! :D

      Delete
  6. This is the perfect fall cover! Not sure I would like writing romance with my own mother, though - that duo must be brave!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cover screams fall, doesn't it? I love it! I don't think I'd be brave enough to write a romance with my mom either, lol. Hope you have a great week! :D

      Delete
  7. Love this one.
    rkrsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a sweet story! Thanks for stopping by! Hope you have a wonderful week! :D

      Delete
  8. I feel like I'm due to read a romance before I get into all the terror of Spooky Season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm getting excited for Spooky Season! Thanks for stopping by, Ethan! :D

      Delete